Thursday, March 10, 2011

Baby Boy Burpies...

We have a baby boy joining our family this summer, so I thought I would get busy and make some essentials. I love this pattern for a baby burp cloth. I made some of these a couple of months ago and the young mother said it is her favorite burpie for her new little one.


Here's the tutorial for these Baby Burpies {the easy way} that I created a couple of months ago to show you how to produce this easy project! Made from cloth diapers, they are absorbent, they wash well, and the fabric wrinkles less than most cotton fabrics...


Did you recognize the contrasting fabrics I used? Well, if you frequent the baby isle in Target they might look familiar. I was planning on making some burpies so I was at Target picking up a dozen cloth diapers, when I passed some receiving blankets. I'd never buy these items to use as receiving blankets because I consider them too small for the task, but the cute fabric caught my eye, and I decided to purchase the blankets to use as the contrasting fabric on these burpies. The cost of the fabric was about $2.30 a yard which is fabulous. I also liked the soft texture of the flannel and how the fabrics coordinated but not in a "matchy-matchy" way! I cut twenty 6"x21" pieces out of the contrasting fabric -- five out of each fabric -- to make a total of 20 burp cloths! 


Cost breakdown:
$17 for 12 pre-folded diapers = $1.41 per diaper
$8 for 4 receiving blankets = $.40 strip per burp cloth
$1.50 (50% off) Ric-rac @ Hobby Lobby (see below) = $.75 per burp cloth
thread


That's a total of $2.50 per burpie!


A couple of these burpies combined with a few other items would make a fabulous baby shower gift!

Linked to:
Friday Fun Finds @ kojo designs
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
All Things Domestic @ Crazy Domestic
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Catch-as-Catch-Can @ My rePurposed Life
SAS @ Just a Girl