Wednesday, September 26, 2012

"Trick or Treat Bag" Pattern & Tutorial...

I love fun, quick projects and this one certainly fits that description! I've made eight of these Trick or Treat Bags for my grandchildren in the last few of years, but because of the population explosion in our family four more are required. The candy corn Trick or Treat Bag version below could be suited for either a little boy or little girl depending on fabric choice! This one is for a little man...


The final measurements for this bag are 7 inches wide by 8 1/2 inches high by 3 inches deep with 13 inch handles. The bag has plenty of room for goodies but is easily managed by little hands.

Because I've had problems recently with people copying my blog posts and patterns and publishing them on other sites, I've chosen to have you email me for the pattern for my Trick or Treat Bag. Once I've sent you the pattern and you have your fabric cut out, you can follow the step-by-step instructions below.

To request the pattern, simply type "Trick or Treat Bag" in the subject line of the email you send to me {my email address is on my sidebar}, and I will send you the pattern in a return email. No need to hurry to request this pattern -- the offer of the free pattern is good throughout the 2012 Halloween season. If you choose to request the pattern, I ask that you leave a comment below. My creativity is fueled by your kind comments, so please follow this one request! 

For Pattern: follow instructions above
1/2" seam allowance
Refer to photos for visual help.
For tips on how to applique go to this blog post.

Cut Out Fabric


Strap Construction

1. Fold straps in half lengthwise and press.
2. Fold edges of straps toward the center fold line and press.
3. Tuck 3/4" x 14"  fusible fleece into strap fold and press to attach fusible fleece.
4. Top-stitch strap 1/8" from both edges. {Refer to photo below for steps 1-4.}


Applique

5.) Attach fusible fleece onto front and back.
6.) Before you begin: A fusible web (such as Wonder Under) should have been applied to the back of the candy corn frame and each section of the candy corn. For more information on appliqueing, go here. Position candy corn frame onto bag front. The top of the frame should be 1 3/4" from the top of the front. The sides of the frame should be 3" from each side of the bag front. Iron to adhere fusible web, then stitch frame to front using a machine blanket stitch, a zig-zag stitch, or straight stitch.{See photo below.)


7.) Arrange and center candy corn pieces onto the frame. Remove middle and bottom pieces, press top piece to frame to adhere Wonder Under, then applique using the machine stitch you've chosen. Start and end your stitches at the bottom of the candy corn piece -- those stitches will be covered up with the middle piece. {See arrow below.}


8.) Arrange and center middle candy corn piece over the top piece. {Note: Use the dashed lines on the pattern pieces as a guide. The top of the middle piece should be brought up to the dashed line on the top piece. The bottom piece should be brought up to the dashed line on the middle piece.} Iron middle piece to adhere Wonder Under, then machine stitch that piece to frame. Again, start and finish your stitches at the bottom...


9.) Finally, place the bottom candy corn piece over the middle piece. Press and stitch.


Attaching Straps to Front and Back

10.) Pin straps to front and back, right sides together, 2 1/2" from side edges. Baste.


Assembling bag

11.) Bag front and back: With right sides together, pin bag front to back. Stitch sides and bottom seam using a 1/2" seam and pivoting at the bottom corners as illustrated in the photo below. Lining front and lining back: With right sides together, pin lining front to lining back. Stitch sides and bottom seam, pivoting at the corners, and leaving a 3" opening at the bottom of the lining. Press seams open as best you can. {See photo below.}


12.) Gusset or "boxed corners" on bag and bag lining: To make gussets put your hand inside the bag and fold the bottom corner into a point where the bottom and side seams meet. An easy way to make sure seams are aligning is to push a pin through the middle of the top seam. The pin should exit the fabric in the middle of the seam below. Pin. Measure down to where it is 3" across in width. The halfway point (1 1/2") should be in the middle of your seam. Use a pencil or disappearing ink marker to mark the stitching line.{See photo below.}


13.) Stitch across the marked line, back-stitching at the edges. Check the gusset to make sure you are happy with it, then trim away the excess fabric to avoid bulk and zig-zag the edge. Treat the other corner in the same way. Repeat with lining.


14.) Turn bag right side out and press. Place bag into lining right sides together. Match seams and pin. Sew around top of bag with a 1/2" seam. Turn bag right sides out by pulling the bag through the opening in the bottom of the lining. When bag is right side out sew the "opening" in the bottom of the bag lining shut.

Finishing Touches

15.) Tuck the lining into the bag. Top-stitch around the top of the bag 3/8" from the edge...


Finished!
Now you've got a Trick or Treat bag for the little Ghost or Goblin in your life!
Do you see those scary spiders crawling all over the inside of the bag? 
{Shiver.}


Please remember:  To request the pattern, simply type "Trick or Treat Bag" in the subject line of the email you send to me {my email address is on my sidebar}, and I will send you the pattern in a return email. If you choose to request the pattern, I ask that you leave a comment below. My creativity is fueled by your comments, so please follow this one request!


Linked to:
Made by you Monday @ Skip to my Lou

96 comments:

The White Silk Purse (Dana) said...

Darling, darling, darling!! I certainly appreciate your creativity since mine is fueled by yours!Thank you for sharing your talents.

Melissa Drevecky said...

Thanks for sharing, such a cute bag!

Melissa

Momma Lynne said...

I am more and more impressed with how well thought out your tutorials are. Nice job.

Sandy said...

I just love all of your patterns and tutorials, they are so awesome! And you always find the cutest fabrics :) Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

Gail said...

I love this pattern! I;m going to try to make one for each of my granddaughters. thank you very much!

Esperanza✿⊱╮ said...

OHHHHH YESSSS!!!! This pattern is goooood!!!! Thank you!!!

Sue said...

Thank you for making a novice-friendly pattern. Perfect timing for me for this tutorial to come out.

Kim said...

I love, love, love your patterns!!

countercrafts said...

Oh my, another adorable bag! Soooo cute! Thanks for sharing your creativity!!! You are a Blessing to me! Take Care and God Bless! Donna

Karen said...

Thank you for sharing this pattern. Your fabric choices are fabulous! After I make a few for my grandkids I think I will be making one for myself ~ for my knitting..... :-) I love your tutorials ~

annemarie said...

These bags are the cutest thing ever - love your fabric and thanks for the pattern offer.

Heidi said...

I love the candy corn applique. Cute bags!

THE CASPERSON'S said...

This bag is just what I was looking for. It will be perfect to re-use every year. Thank you for sharing your talent!

Chris said...

Cute Suzanne. :) My imagination is running with all sorts of ideas for other fabric themes for these bags..church, school, shopping, pool, etc. I am requesting this pattern now instead of later :) because I was out of town for a week and missed the Lion tag blanket! (Thankfully its on your ETSY! WHEW! :) ....Too much fun at the beach with all the kids and grandkids that I just didn't check my usual blogs. :)
Thanks for sharing your creative ideas with us once again!!

p.s.phyllis sews said...

The bag is so cute! Candy corn is such a fun feature of Halloween that I would love to have the pattern and thanks!

Sorry you are having to work at protecting your blog as you are and I hope that you will not let it kill the joy of the creative fun you are doing.

Rachbenn2007 said...

This is so cute! I've been looking for a cute halloween bag for my 3 ghouls.

Nana said...

I love your Trick or Treat bags. Thank you for being so kind to share these patterns. I LOVE your blog and your talent!

a2b2007a-a7b4-11e1-98d9-000bcdca4d7a said...

cute bag. especially like the owl fabric and co ordinating grren lining. maureen

Debby said...

Your cute bag is now on my MUST do for the grands this Halloween!!! Thank you for sharing!!!!

Army Wife Quilter said...

I sent a email requesting this awesome pattern

jshipp said...

Thx for providing the tutorial. I like the size. Nice for the little ones.

VickiT said...

Awesome tutorial Suzanne. These bags are just adorable. I can't wait to dig through to see if I still have Halloween fabric in my fabric closet. I think I may have some Ghastlies fabric that someone sent me last year as a surprise with the tote she'd made that I won. hmmmmm

I've already emailed you. No hurry as I know I won't get to this this week as I must finish this quilt top for the quilt along I've been doing.

Thank you SO much.

Linda Southworth said...

I just admire your sewing ability Ms Suzanne! I sew and do a decent job but yours literally sparkles! Maybe you could share some of your sewing secrets in a future post. I will make this little bag for my one grandchild. More for the years ahead. He's just 7 months! Thank you!

Mason/Sam/Family said...

Thanks so much for sharing. I am always up for cute new bags!

Sue said...

Love your projects! Thanks for being so generous and sharing. We have our first grandbaby and I'm anxious to make all of these wonderful projects for her. Thanks again!

Gerri said...

Such a cute bag, Suzanne. I've already got ideas for other holidays - an egg or bunny applique at Eater, a tree for Christmas. The possibilities are endless. Thank you for your generosity!

glassyladyks said...

Thank you so very much! My DGS will be getting one of these.

Cindy said...

So cute! Can't wait to make this cute bag!

Sister Walker said...

This is adorable! You always make such cute things!

lynnie said...

Darling- and of course this can be addapted to any season. perfect little reusable gift or treat bag.
Lynn Z

Sharon said...

Thanks for sharing another of your cute tutorials. Can't wait to get started.

melissa cano said...

Thanks for sharing. You never seize to amaze me.

miki said...

I'd love to make these for my grandchildren. They are a perfect size and they are so cute!

JandC said...

Oh how wonderful! My kiddos are going to love these! Thanks!

Jane said...

Thanks for the tutorials. I made a lil' car caddy yesterday. It turned out very cute.

Gail said...

Thanks, Suzanne! I can't wait to make a couple of these!

Becky said...

Can't wait to make the baby his first trick or treating bag!

Patty said...

thank you for this. I have the owl rice bags and i have the chick

Maurine Stettler said...

So cute -- what a fun thing to make and personalize for each person.

Sandy H said...

Such a great bag and an easy pattern to follow! Just in time for me to teach my 9 yr old granddaughter how to sew bags. :) Thanks!

CandyCane said...

Suzanne ~ Boo To You!

This is a darling Halloween treat bag you have designed. I love your choice of fabrics you picked out. I would be very pleased to have the pattern. Thank You!


xo Lenore

Julie said...

So cute! I hope I have time to get them done for my 3 kids before Halloween. So much cuter than the plastic pumpkins!

Erin Bloomer said...

What an adorable bag!

BamaCarol said...

Such a sweet bag they can use for years and it isn't scary. I love it, thanks so much for providing us with free tutorials and patterns.

The Junk-It Folk said...

Couldn't be cuter and I'm planning on making some of these for my nieces and nephews. No grandbabies ... YET!! Thanks for the inspiration!

Elizabeth said...

Really cute trick-or-treat bags. I wish I had your imagination and creativity

Nanbran said...

Adorable...thank you so much!!

Britainy said...

This looks lovely, thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try making some for my little boys!

Eva María said...

Hola, muchisimas gracias por compartir tu trabajo, me ha encantado.
Un saludo
Eva
Sorry i don't speak english.

Angie said...

This is the most adorable Trick or Treat bag! I would love a copy of the pattern. :)

Mommo said...

Suzanne. Thanks for another cute project. I have done several projects from your site. They are all very much appreciated. Cute Cute Cute.

Love Bug said...

What a darling bag. I can't wait to make a few of these for the kiddos in my life. I have enjoyed seeing your work over the last year or so that I've been following your blog. I wish I had the creativity and skill you have. Thanks!

quiltin cntrygrl said...

I love this bag! It lends itself to so many other ideas!

Cindra Lee said...

They are wonderful thanks

Cindra Lee said...

Thanks they are wonderful ....look forward to msking them...Cindrs

Carla Wade said...

super cute, as is everything you do!!

The Ruby Clan said...

This is to cute of a pattern not to want to make!

Jamie Gupton said...

I found these just in time! Thank you (again) for all the inspiration!

Mntgirl2 said...

Thank you for the cute, cute halloween bag! Can't wait to make one or two or three!

Lori Moody said...

So excited to make this cute bag for my girls! It's the perfect size for them (they are 4 and 2) and are sooo excited to trick or treat!

Ms. Elaine said...

How cute it that! Do I have time to make some for my grandbabies before Halloween?....I will be sending you an email!

Sara said...

Thanks for sharing your talent with all of us. I look forward to making this cute bag. Blessings to you.

Sandi said...

I really don't need another bag pattern, however, this one is way too cute to pass up!

Tonna @ Navy Wifey Peters said...

Gorgeous bag!!!

verypinteresting said...

Thank you so much for sharing your pattern with me! It was just the inspiration I needed to make a bag for my little one!

Kathie said...

I made a similar bag but, surprise, I can't find the pattern I used. Thanks for offering this tutorial!

Charlotte said...

So cute!!!! A must have for every trickster.

Navva said...

Perfect tutorial! Thank you for sharing your experience!

Liz and Brian said...

Such a cute bag...thank you for sharing!

Amyzcrazylife said...

Trick or Treat bag! So cute and I think I can handle making one of these!

Unknown said...

Super cute! Can't wait to make it and use them next year!

margie said...

Found you through pinterest and you have a nice webpage. I sent e-mail to get the trick or treat bag pattern. Keep up the good job!!!!
Thanks
Margie

Kayla Oncale said...

I just found your bag through a Pinterest search! This will be my very first sewing project and I am both excited and nervous at the same time! Thanks for inspiring me to finally touch that sewing option on my sewing/embroidery machine!!! :)

Michelle said...

Thanks so much for this adorable free pattern! I made it slightly larger but it turned out great. I especially loved the candy corn appliqué and used a sparkly black thread for the appliqué stitching.

Stacy said...

I would LOVE to get a copy of this pattern please. How do I get it?

brenda moyer said...

Hi, I LOVE this!! Would like to have the pattern for this Trick or Treat bag. I am a school bus driver and a grandmother and would put this pattern to good use for the kids! Will e-mail you.
Found you on Pinterest.

brenda moyer said...

This is so cute! Love it. Would very much like to have the pattern.

Oneday said...

Love this trick or treat bag! You said the free pattern is only available through the 2012 season. Please tell me that's not true. I was a newbie then and hadn't seen this pattern. Is it still available?

Kathy said...

Cute bag! Have requested the pattern. Hope it is still available!

Georgia Burhite said...

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful project!

Georgia Burhite said...

Thanks for sharing this great project. Can't wait to make one for my grandson.

Jen said...

Hi. Found this adorable trick-or-treat bag on Pinterest. What did we do before Pinterest? I'd like to whip 4 of these beauties for my kiddos before Trick or Treating starts. Thanks for the lovely tutorial. Very nicely done.
~Jen

Nikkie said...

I just requested it. Hoping also that it's still available. :)

Marilyn Jorgensen said...

I just requested the pattern, which I hope is still available! I am a sewing newbie but I think I can do this with your awesome tutorial. :-)

Veronna said...

Hi, I would love a copy of your pattern. I think this is so adorable!

Jenny H said...

I really want to make this for my Nephew and Goddaughter

Linda Wursten said...

Just cute as can be. Hope to get the pattern.

Bruno Blessings said...

Thank you very much! My daughter will love this. Best regards~

Lindsey said...

If you are still giving out this pattern I would love a copy of it. I just emailed you at the address on the sidebar. Thanks!

Me said...

This is the cutest trick-or-treat bag I've seen anywhere! I love it. Plus I'm a beginner sewer so this will be right up my alley.
Sending you an email with the trick-or-treat bag request now. Thanks and Happy Fall!

Christine said...

I am just looking for a simple bag pattern for my 2 year old Grandson and this looks perfect! Thanks, Christine

Hannah Davidson said...

I love this bag! I can't wait to make it!

Norma said...

Thank you for sharing your work and ideas. I LOVE this bag!

Joni B said...

Your emails are a breath of fresh air for me! Thank you for sharing!

Jenny said...

Super cute and easy trick or treat bags! Thanks for posting.

Jenny said...

super cute trick or treat bags! thanks for sharing!