Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Fabric Baskets...


I've been busy redecorating my laundry room. For those of you who have read my blog for awhile, you may remember I redid that same room two years ago. What can I say other than the fact that I am easily bored? My husband tells me that I've repainted the walls so many times in our home that we've lost square footage. It's an accurate statement. Anyway, I wanted to change-up my laundry room, so I painted three of the walls "Mushroom Bisque" and left the third one "Oolong Tea."  I also purchased a beautiful curtain and door knob curtain tie back from Urban Outfitters...



We didn't need any privacy for this window, so this light and airy window treatment was perfect. Plus the curtains added a huge pop of color to the room.

I've been hoping to make some fabric baskets for awhile now and decided this redo was the perfect opportunity. I would venture to say that most women would opt for more storage in their homes if given the opportunity. These fabric baskets will hold items -- like our gazillion light bulbs -- that take up room in the cupboards above my washer and dryer. When filled I'll store the baskets on the top of the cupboards.


I came up with three different sizes, but they are about 15 inches long by 9 inches wide by 8.5 inches tall -- give or take a few inches here and there.


I love these baskets. They are heavy-weight and durable and ended up storing much more than I thought possible!



I used muslin, cotton, and burlap on these baskets. I interfaced the lining and the outside of the bag with fusible fleece and even put some soft and natural quilt batting between the layers to give them plenty of body. I didn't want the sides slumping in.



There are a myriad of tutorials on fabric baskets on Pinterest and in blogs. Just alter the measurements to fit your needs. I love the fact that they provides a lot of storage in an attractive manner!