Monday, June 13, 2011

Bunting Cosmetic Bag Tutorial

After a fabulous vacation with family and a short hiatus, I'm back to creating and posting again. I'm a home-body at heart, so it feels good to have a few projects in the works!

Several weeks ago I celebrated a birthday and for the celebration my daughter made this adorable bunting...


I have to admit until I saw that banner I hadn't really understood what all the "bunting fuss" was about. I thought they were cute, but didn't necessarily feel the need to jump on the bunting bandwagon! However, the bunting my daughter made for my birthday changed my mind in a hurry. That's why I decided to produce a little bunting of my own and make a new cosmetic bag! I'm sharing my creation with you in this easy-to-follow tutorial...


Materials Needed:

2 pieces of muslin (or linen) fabric cut 9.5 inches wide x 8 inches tall
2 pieces of cotton fabric for the lining cut 9.5 inches wide x 8 inches tall
2 pieces of fusible fleece cut 9.5 inches wide x 8 inches tall
about 15 bunting triangles cut from a variety of scrap fabrics
thread
9" zipper
scrap of ribbon for zipper end (optional)

{ 1/4" seam allowance unless otherwise specified. }


Assembling the front:

1.) Start by fusing the fleece onto your muslin pieces with your iron. This will give the cosmetic bag more body and allow the bunting to have a little more dimension!


2.) Sew a line across the top of one of the pieces of muslin -- swooping it from the left side of the fabric to the top (see below). This line will work as a guide for your placement of bunting pieces.


3.) Then attach your bunting triangles by putting the tops of the triangles along the line already sewn and sewing across the top of each piece.


4.) Next sew across the top of the pieces a couple more times and along the sides of the pieces a couple of times. Don't worry about being precise while sewing these lines. I purposely made the lines a little catawampus, which added some character to the piece. {At least that's what I'm hoping!}

 

5.) Time to add more bunting by creating another swooping sewing line starting at the top of the piece and sweeping across the fabric to the right...


    6.) Just like before, go ahead and add your triangular bunting pieces using the sewn line as a guide for placement. Again sew around each triangle and across the top a couple of times!



      Assembling the Pouch:

      7.) Now that you have the front of the cosmetic bag completed, go to Noodlehead and follow Anna's "Scrappy Make-Up Pouch" tutorial, starting with "Assembling the Pouch." There are many different tutorials out there on how to make this pouch, but Anna's instructions and photos are always spot on and so easy to follow. When you have completed it, your bunting cosmetic bag should look like this...


      I love this bag. It's quite possibly my favorite pouch ever. It's so cute and playful with a touch of quirky! I made several of them the other day...


      Each one becomes unique depending on the fabric used for the lining and the scrap fabric used for the bunting...



      Enjoy!


      Linked to:

      DIY Club








      Domestically Speaking Linky Party
      Craft Schooling Sunday @ Creative Jewish Mom
      Show & Tell Saturday @ Be Different Act Normal
      Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
      Friday Fun Finds @ kojo designs
      Friday Fav Party @ Nap Time Crafters
      Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
      Summer Fun @ Sassy Sites
      Hookin' Up with House of Hepworths
      Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
      Show Off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
      20 Below @ Christina's Adventures
      Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
      Anything Related @ All Things Related
      Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog
      It's Sew Fun Tuesday @ It's Sew for You
      Craft-O-Maniac Monday @ Craft-0-Maniac
      Running with Glitter Linky Party
      Sisters Sunday Link Party @ Sisters of the Wild West



      50 comments:

      Chris said...

      Absolutely ADORABLE!!! I am with you on the bunting craze, but after seeing these I may just have to jump on the wagon as well. :) SO cute!!!!

      Chris said...

      So glad you joined us bunting fans! Your design is darling.

      colorchic said...

      Such a sweet design! I need to make one of these!

      annemarie said...

      Happy belated birthday - love the bunting cosmetic bag. I have always loved the bunting idea but like you have not joined the bandwagon - not I am inspired to do so.

      casserole said...

      This is sooo cute!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing:
      http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-bunting-appliqued-make-up-pouch/2011/06/13/
      (I've scheduled the link to go live tonight)

      --Anne

      Rachel said...

      That is ridiculously cute! I've been needing a new makeup bag for the longest time . . . this just might be the one for me ;-) And I love the sketchy sewing lines--those are very charming. And congrats on the Craft Gossip feature (^^^) that is SO cool!

      Rachel @ Maybe Matilda

      Anna said...

      very cute Suzanne! great job. :)

      Kelly @ Run With Glitter said...

      So So SO cute! I love it
      !http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/

      BRITTANY said...

      I love this!! Thank you for sharing the tutorial! I found you via Craft-o-Matic

      Laura @ live.laugh.photograph said...

      this is beautiful!! i just started sewing 2 weeks ago. seriously! and i'm totally up for a challenge! i'm thinking that something like this is going to be it!

      Libby said...

      These are SO adorable and whimsical! I just might be able to pull this off. I love it!

      Renee said...

      So so SO CUTE!!!

      Mariane Prospero Polins said...

      Hi! I'm writing from Brazil and I really aprrecite this kind ok craft, but I don´t know the name of this technique, do you mind to tell me?
      Tks and congratulations to this wonderful bag!

      Krista said...

      I am fully on the bunting bandwagon. This is so cute! Will be making one soon.

      Amy Gilman and Emily Lee (Sisters of the Wild West) said...

      These pouches are awesome! we are your newest followers!! I would love to have you at our link party going on now!!
      www.sistersofthewildwest.blogspot.com

      Amy

      banclothing said...

      I love your fabric choices. This is a beautiful make up kit. I think they would make perfect gifts... I am thinking christmas already.

      Alfie's mum said...

      wow!! You have some serious skills with machine quilting! I LOVE this bag! I'm your newest follower, you should come check out my blog too @ originateandrenovate.blogspot.com

      Rebekah★All Thingz Related★ said...

      Oh I just love it!!

      Stephanie Mosselman said...

      love it! love it! i may just try a variation on this myself. thank you!

      Mimu's Da Mônica said...

      very cute !!!

      Begin

      dollystar said...

      Surpreendente o resultado final, parabéns!
      Obrigada por compartilhar o tutorial!
      Dolly

      Lara said...

      These are magnificent! You come up with the most original ideas! And I love your fabric choices, you have such an amazing eye!

      Linda said...

      Thanks for showing us how to put the buntings on. I,too, have not joined the bunging bandwagon. Maybe it's time. Thanks for sharing.
      Linda

      Kristy@MyPretties said...

      I have to have this! But first, I must learn to sew a zipper! Thanks for sharing!

      I'm your newest follower. I'd love to have you follow me at www.illgetyoumypretties.blogspot.com.

      amy said...

      I love this! I cannot wait to make one for myself! Thanks for the inspiration. Your bag is fantastic!

      Kelly @ Run With Glitter said...

      You have been featured this week on the Glitter Spotlight! Thank you for joining the weekly link party!
      http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/06/glitter-friday-spotlight-6-17-11.html

      Susan @ Busy Home Adventures said...

      Beautiful! I especially love the colors of the very first one. The buntings crossing over each other is a really nice variation! New follower!

      D+B said...

      Your blog is so adorable!!!! I am definitely going to be following you!! If you would like to check out my blog also I would LOVE that!! And follow me too!! I am excited to share new ideas on recipes and about mineral make-up!! And giving away free giveaways on make-up! So look out for it...
      -Brooke
      For-The-Luv-Of.blogspot.com

      Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

      Adorable and those bunting are the perfect touch! Visiting from Funky Junk Interiors!

      Martha said...

      Fab tutorial! thanks so much! i love that little bunting pouch :)

      Jerri said...

      What a cute idea! I just added this to my Bunting Board on Pinterest!

      Jen-CraftOManiac said...

      Hello There- You have been featured on C.O.M., thanks for your creativity. winks-jen

      DeeDee @ClassyMommyD said...

      Love it! This will be great and even good for other things too.

      Christina said...

      This is so stinkin cute...I love it!!

      I featured it on my blog today...thanks for linking up! :)

      http://christinasadventures2010.blogspot.com/2011/06/sunday-features-25.html

      Maggie @ Chica es Artistica said...

      I just featured this on my blog here:
      http://chicaesartistica.blogspot.com/2011/06/ramblings-and-some-bookmarked-bags.html

      Its Sew For You said...

      This is so cute! I featured it today on my blog, thank you for sharing it at last week's linky party!

      http://itssewforyou.blogspot.com/2011/06/its-sew-fun-tuesday-round-up.html

      Brandi said...

      love your pouches, they are so cute.

      Holly Lefevre said...

      So darn cute! The bunting looks especially sweet, yet modern on the cosmetic bag.

      thepoodlechef said...

      I wish I could subscribe to this blog via email! I always forget to look at blogs.

      Shelley Jo said...

      What a great way to use up little scraps! The possibilities are endless as to where this could be used. I love your little bag, too!

      Loydene said...

      I love the banner bag. It reminds me of the sea and the boats and ships that sail on them. What a wonderful way to use up all those scraps. Thank you for sharing your creativity.

      EG said...

      Oh my goodness, those are adorable!

      amy giggles designs said...

      can't wait to make this tutorial!

      sunnysideshlee.com said...

      This is so adorable!!

      Maggie Muggins said...

      I made some decorative pillows for a friend for Christmas. On one of them I used this same bunting idea that I've been wanting to try since you posted it. Thanks for the inspiration! http://maggiemugginsdesigns.blogspot.com/2012/01/decorative-pillows-fun-details-free.html

      Heather - Chickabug said...

      I love this little bag! I posted about it on my blog along with other bunting-inspired crafts:

      http://www.chickabug.com/blog/2012/01/bunting-themed-diy-projects.html

      Thank you for the inspiration! : )

      Calypso said...

      It's look amazing!!!!I love it!!!

      Welandra said...

      Lovely work! Finally good way to get rid of scraps. :D

      Izzati said...

      cute!!!

      Chelsie C said...

      Thanks for the tutorial! Just made mine :)
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/chelsiecreates/8656670556/