Thursday, February 10, 2011

"Love Birds" or Rice-Filled Heating Pads for Children

Update: This pattern is now being sold in my Etsy store!

The other day a flock of "Love Birds" descended upon our home. These are not typical Love Birds, but I think it is an apt description none-the-less. After all, they are birds and we are giving them to our grandchildren with a whole lotta love


For awhile now I've been trying to think of a little present I could make for our grandchildren for Valentine's Day. I wanted to make something that would remind them of my husband and I, so I naturally gravitated to something that would hold them, hug them, and keep them warm -- just like us.


Last month I made a few Rice-Filled Heating Pads for some special adults in my life. I thought about those and then decided to make a "child's version" for our grandchildren for Valentine's Day. As a result, this here flock was created... 


I started, like I usually do, with paper and pencil...


That crude drawing took on a more polished look, and from that sketch a pattern was developed. I've been told that children who use rice-filled heating pads love them. The warmth of a heating pad can soothe a child's achy muscles or ease the pain of a stomach ache. It can keep a child warm on a cold night, and it can even be used to gently warm up a baby's crib before he goes to bed. (Remove the heating pad before the baby is placed in the crib, and always check the mattress temperature.) I'm certain a rice filled heating pad is not nearly as good as being held by a loving grandparent, but hopefully having their very own "Love Birds" will remind them that they are loved! 

 

Did you notice that the tummy of these Love Birds are in the shape of a heart? I thought that was an appropriate touch for Valentine's Day!


The back of the birdie is made of flannel -- soft, cuddly, and warm. The front is made from cotton fabrics. (Make sure you use cotton fabrics when you make your Love Bird because synthetic fabrics -- like Minky -- can melt in the microwave!) Just pop the birdie in the microwave for 60-90 seconds and when it emerges it is warm and toasty!

These Love Birds will soon fly off and wend their way toward our grandchildren spread throughout the U.S. It makes me feel good to know that they will hold these on Valentine's day and know that they are loved.


I've decided to offer this pattern 
and some brief instructions on how to make this 
"Love Bird Heating Pad" 
available to all! 

Click here to be transported to my Etsy store to receive this PDF pattern for "Love Birds" -- a rice-filled heating pad for children.


If your little one doesn't use his "Love Bird" as a heating pad,
it could definitely double as a bookend! ;o)

Linked to:
True Love Contest @ Sew Mama Sew
Best Project of the Month @ Today's Top 20
All Things Inspired @ All Things Heart & Home
Anything Related @ All Things Related
Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings
Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog
Mad Skills Monday @ Support Blog for Moms of Boys
Motivate Me Monday @ Be Colorful
Craftomaniac Monday @ Craft-O-Maniac
Show & Tell Saturday @ Be Different Act Normal
Saturday Nite Specials @ Funky Junk Interiors

Sew Crafty Saturday @ Wildflowers and Whimsy
Friday Fun Finds @ kojo designs
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots and Jello
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Fabulous Friday Finds @ Frou Frou Decor
Friday Linky Party @ Sassy Sites!
All Things Domestic @ Crazy Domestic
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
SAS Day @ Just a Girl
20 Below Thursday @ Christina's Adventures