Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Simple Ruffled Pillow...


I was shopping the other day and came across a simple ruffled pillow. I loved the uncomplicated look of this pillow with its two little rows of tiny ruffles. {Below is the photo I took with my cell phone.} It was $78 and 21" x 27" -- a whopper of a pillow in cost and size. The cost would have discouraged me enough, but it was also too large for what I had in mind, so I decided to make one instead. 


Our bedroom redo is almost complete, but I still have a few finishing touches and a pillow accounted for one those. I wanted a 15" pillow to sit on a leather reading chair that would compliment the knitted throw that I had recently bought. This pillow with its little ruffles was exactly what I was looking for. Here's what I came up with...


This is what you'll need to duplicate this pillow:

front panels - 3 strips of fabric 6" x 16"
front ruffles - 2 strips of fabric 2" x 40"
back panel - enough to finish the pillow the way you choose
1/2" seams

Because this pillow is so simple, I'm not going to give detailed instructions. Just fold and press the ruffles in half lengthwise, gather them up and tuck them between the seams of the front panels. Then finish the back of the pillow and you're done!


This time I experienced something new when making a pillow. I love the softness of a down pillow -- so luxurious. I wanted that for this new pillow, so I went to Target and bought a down pillow. It was $24, but I knew I could use the down as filling for at least three pillows, so I easily rationalized the expense. I slit the pillow to retrieve the down. Yikes...


It was messy.


Very messy.


I persevered, however, and filled up my pillow insert with a thousand and two little feathers. {And it only took me 30 minutes to vacuum up the feathers that escaped to every corner of my main floor.} Thankfully, it was worth the effort, because this pillow is soft and luxurious...


Cost...
 Down-filled pillow insert: $9
Pillow cover: $2
Total: $11



Linked to:
Visit thecsiproject.com

Make-It-Yourself Monday @ An Original Belle
Sister Sunday Link Party @ Sisters of the Wild West
Show & Tell @ Be Different Act Normal
Sat Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Friday Favs @ Naptime Crafter
Made Monday @ Toastie Studio
Friday Flair @ Whipperberry
Free for All @ Sassy Sites
Hookin' Up with House of Hepworths
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Sew Cute Tuesday @ Creative Itch
Transformation Thursday @ Shabby Chic Cottage
Show Off Your Stuff @
Fireflies & Jellybeans
DIY Under $15 @
A Little Tipsy
Party Time Tuesday @
Northern Cottage