Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Lamp Shade Redo...

You may find this as hard to believe as I do, but I am finished with my bedroom redo #3. Fine-awl-lee. It's taken me months. Most of that time was spent on the she-devil desk that I bought for $14.99 at Goodwill. I thought it was a good deal at the time, and I suppose I still do, but she took hours to refinish. I now know there was a better way to refinish her, but that realization came with all the lessons learned along the way and experienced garnered. I digress. (The desk post will come later this week.) This post is about a lamp shade redo that I performed last night and this morning.

A couple of weeks ago I bought the cutest little "crystal" (acrylic) lamp for the above mentioned devilish desk. However, I had a difficult time finding a shade for it, so I decided to cover an inexpensive shade and make it "my own." I purchased a $7 shade at Target, and I used some fabric from my stash to cover it. The fabric is a cotton from Amy Butler's Midwest Modern line. I just love it and it fits perfectly in the room.

I started by laying the lamp shade directly onto the fabric, and as I rolled the shade around the fabric I outlined the lamp shade. Then I cut just inside the traced lines so the fabric was slightly smaller than the shade.

I used a paintbrush and some fabric glue to attach the fabric to the shade. I painted the glue onto the very edges of the shade (1/4" from the edges) and pressed the fabric edges to the shade.

Some trim from Hobby Lobby finished her off! (I used Fray Check on the edges of the trim to keep it from fraying.)

A little hot glue secured the trim to the edge of the shade.

I really love how it turned out. This room has become an eclectic mix of trendy and traditional, and I love how the fabric on this lamp ties together both of those looks with a vintage modern spirit.



Linked to:


Visit thecsiproject.com 
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
Boardwalk Bragfest @ Bobbypins Boardwalk
Trash to Treasure Tuesday @ Reinvented
Toot Your Horn Tuesday @ A Silly Little Sparrow
Spotlight Yourself @ It's So Very Cheri