Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Animal Jars...


I'm a little late in joining the "Animal Jar" bandwagon. I saw this idea months ago when I was visiting my son's family, and it was love at first sight. My daughter-in-law has incredible taste. Their house is a kaleidoscope of colors, textures and patterns -- and it works beautifully. She had made some of these jars and put them on a shelf in their bathroom to store Q-tips, cotton balls, and other small bathroom necessities.


When we started buying items for our latest bathroom revamp, I bought the necessary jars and animals to put on a shelf in our "new" bathroom. Then we went to the Outer Banks and I decided to do a beach-themed bathroom. These zoo animals didn't fit the part anymore, but I went ahead and made them as a house-warming present for one of my daughters who is moving into a new home the end of this month.


These jars are 9" x 4.5", 7" x 4.5", and 5" x 4.5", so I bought miniature animals that were slightly larger than the normal miniature animals. All these items were purchased at Hobby Lobby at 50% off, so it was very inexpensive. The largest jar was only $2.40 at 50% off and the smaller jars were even less!


Each jar had a brushed metal lid, so I sprayed each jar lid with a white primer and then with a flat white spray paint. I did the same to the little animals and then super glued them onto the top of the lids. Aren't they adorable? This little guy smiles at me whenever I walk by...


You could use these in the kitchen with colorful beans/popcorn/candies inside -- in an office with paperclips/scissors/etc. -- in a sewing room with buttons/ribbons/etc. -- or in a bathroom as I mentioned before. So cute and Anthropologie-ish.


I don't think I would try to open and close the lid by using the little animal as a "knob" though, because in time I'm sure it would loosen from the lid -- super glue is only so strong.


I'd love some ideas of what you would use these for so I can pass that information onto my daughter. Leave a comment with your ideas!

Linked to:
Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings
Link Party @ Bloom Designs
Handmade Cuddles Link Party