Monday, October 28, 2013

Herringbone Accent Wall -- Finished!


Saturday I finished an accent wall that I've been working on most of the week. It started with Plan A -- using a stencil on the wall. That plan was discarded for Plan B  -- which involved using miles and miles of painter's tape and a whole lot of patience.  The painters tape served as the lines between the herringbone pattern. Because this is a shuffled herringbone pattern, I put a little piece of tape on the sections to be painted. Then I covered those areas with white paint to seal the edges of the tape so there would be crisp lines when I added the colored paint...


Before painting I figured out the color pattern I would be using by adding a dash of paint to each block...


By Saturday I had painted the Herringbone pattern on the wall and all I had to do was wait for the paint to dry! Here's a photo after the paint was applied...


The dimensions of the project are easy. For the same pattern place the vertical tape 8 inches apart.  Then mark down every four inches for the diagonal pattern, like this...


I was a little concerned that the colorful paint would seep under the tape because our walls are textured, but when I removed the tape there wasn't much of that at all. Grateful. A teeny bit of touch up was all that was required.


Here's the finished wall...



This project was very time consuming, but I absolutely love it!


It's exactly the playful feel that I wanted for this rec room for the grandkids!


FYI: Here's some information on the paint I used. All the paint was from the Valspar "Eddie Bauer Home" Signature Collection: Island Blue, Dahlia, Taffy, Yogurt, Java, Dark Mango, & Apple Green.


Happy. Happy. Happy.


Linked to:
I Heart Naptime Linky Party
Friday Favs Party @ Naptime Crafter
The CSI Project
Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings 
Show Me What Ya Got @ Not Just a Housewife


24 comments:

krazgrl said...

OH WOW!!! This is amazingly beautiful!! I would love this in my basement family room. Great job!!!

lefty.rollins said...

Oh my! This looks absolutely amazing! It was fun to watch the wall take shape over the last few days. Your patience and attention to detail are inspiring. I usually pick small projects and rush through them, but lately God has been encouraging me to slow down and focus more on details. Your basement wall is a great example of the wonderful things that can come from that!

Chris said...

GREAT JOB!!! Suzanne it is perfect!! It turned out so nicely; the colors are really fun and your lines are clean and crisp. All that work sure did pay off, even if you did have to put aside the stencil and use the painters tape. I think that was a wise choice. Now all you have to do is get those grandkids there and P L A Y!! :)

Lynn said...

you crazy woman=this is incredible=it turned out beautifully! kudos!!!

Reno said...

It is beautiful!

Tiffany said...

This is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing!

~Carla~ said...

Wow! This turned out just awesome! I'd be tickled pink!! :) Well done! Worth all the work I think!!

patti said...

Wow! I've been waiting to see this wall finished! It's amazing! You must be so proud! And the grands must love it too!

Abby / Linda said...

Great! Nice pictures about how to do it!

Southern Gal said...

Wow! That effect was so worth the effort!

Gail Wilson said...

amazing Suzanne! You worked hard on this project, but it turned out fabulous! What a great place for the family (grands) to gather and have fun!
gail
ps pinning!

Nykie D said...

Wow! That's amazing! Job well done :o)

pinteriordesigns said...

Coming here from Not Just a Housewife. That wall is AMAZING! I'm obsessed!

TheKimSix Fix said...

Wow! That is amazing! It looks like it was a ton of work, but totally worth it! Beautiful job.

margaret said...

wonderful and see the worry about removing the tape and paint seeping did bot occur, an amazing wall

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Very very very cool! Well done! Worth the effort!

shirlthegirl said...

you truly are inspirational! I'm so glad you didn't give up after the stencil didn't work. well done you x

Angela Conley said...

Very cool, colorful and unique wall! I don't know if I'd have had the patience you had for all that taping and painting---kudos! Looks great!

Tracy King said...

Looks like you put a lot of thought and work into this. I turned out so beautiful though so it was worth it!

Jillian said...

I LOVE this wall!!!

Mindi Carwin said...

This is amazing Suzanne! I love it, and it is perfect for a rec room for your grandkids, they must be so proud to have such a cool grandma!!

Rachel said...

This is amazing! Thinking about doing this in a baby's room...can I ask what width tape you used? Also, how did you get all the diagonal lines exactly parallel? Sorry, I know it's been a few years,I just happened across this on Pinterest!!

Suzanne said...

Rachel, I think the blog post prior to the end result will help answer your questions...
http://justanotherhangup.blogspot.com/2013/10/on-to-plan-b.html

Love/Haight said...

This is incredible !!