Monday, January 16, 2012

Snappy Bag Tutorial


Here's the post you {may} have been waiting for -- my "Snappy Bag" tutorial. I'm so excited to share this pattern and tutorial with you. In no time at all you can whip up one of these mini-pouches for someone you love! Last week I introduced my version of this little bag that has a carpenter's metal tape measure in the top casing that forms a "hinge" that snaps open and shut! These would be perfect little bags {filled with delectables} for someone you love on Valentine's Day.


Please remember the little printer icon at the bottom 
of this post that enables you to print {with ease} this tutorial!


Materials needed:
Bag front:  6 1/2" x 8" cotton fabric
Bag lining (& casing for measuring tape):  6 1/2" x 12" contrasting cotton fabric
Ruffles: Two 2" x 12" strips of same (or other) contrasting cotton fabric
Interfacing: 5 3/4" x 8" fusible fleece interfacing
Two 5" lengths of  3/4" wide metal measuring tape
Thread

Finished bag: 5 1/2" wide x 4" high


Directions:

1. On the bag front pencil a line one inch away from each short end... (see below)


2. Center fusible fleece to wrong side of bag front and adhere it to the fabric. (The fusible fleece does not cover the seam allowance on the bag front. This ensures a less bulky side seam on the bag.)


3. Fold the 2" x 12" strips (ruffles) in half lengthwise and press. On the unfinished edge of the strip run a basting stitch 1/4" from the edge. Gather. {If you are unsure how to gather fabric, go here for a demo.}


4. Pin your gathered ruffle to the bag front. Place the edge of the gathered fabric along the penciled line on the bag front...



5. Sew ruffles to bag front 1/8" from unfinished ruffle edge. Remove basting.


6. On bag lining fold over short sides about 3/8" and press. Center the bag front on the bag lining wrong sides together. Pin.


7. Stitch 1/4" from unfinished edge of bag front and lining between the ruffles. (see below) This will make stitching of the sides easier.


8. Fold the bag lining over the bag front and the unfinished edge of the ruffles and stitch 1/8" from folded edge of lining. This will create the casing for the measuring tape...


9. (Optional)  Here's where I get a little picky, but it I won't apologize because it makes for a professional looking bag. In the photos below, can you see where the side edges of the fabric are a little uneven in the top photo. The bag front doesn't meet the lining perfectly. In the bottom photo (below) the edges of the bag have been trimmed evenly. To cut these edges straight I take off about 1/8" with my rotary cutter. I know, I know....I'm a bit of a perfectionista. Geesh.


10. Fold the bag in half right sides (bag front) together. Your lining will be on the outside (see below)... On one side only stitch 3/8" from the edge. Trim and zig-zag edge. (Put the bag aside, and don't stitch the other side yet!)



11. Are you up for a little carpentry work? Now you get to dismantle a tape measure... It's fun. Undo the screws on the side of a measuring tape and take it apart. Be careful as you are doing this as the tape measure can "explode" when released from it's confining metal cover. Put a sturdy piece of scotch tape on the end of the measuring tape to keep it wound...


12. Now find the crummiest set of scissors you have in your house, because after you've used them on the measuring tape they are never going to cut well again. Cut two 5" pieces off the metal measuring tape, round the corners, and tape the ends with masking tape so the sharp edges don't rip your fabric...


13. This part is very important... Now slip those little measuring tapes into the casings at the top of the bag. The number side of the measuring tapes need to be facing toward the lining (or the inside) of the bag as in the photo below. (Note one tape is facing 'up' and the other facing 'down' because they need to be facing the lining on each side.) 


14. When you have those little tapes shoved all the way inside the casing, pin the sides together and sew 3/8" from the edge of the fabric. Trim and zig-zag the seam.


15. Turn right side out and press! Yay!!! You're done!


Just think of the possibilities...




Enjoy!

If this tutorial was helpful, please take the time to leave
a comment below. Your comments give me the
encouragement to continue creating!

Also, please remember the little printer icon at the bottom 
of this post that enables you to print {with ease} this tutorial!

Linked to:
Weekend Party @ Sisters of the Wild West
Show & Tell Saturday @ Be Different Act Normal
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Free for All @ Sassy Sites
The Stuff of Success Linky Party
Blog Stalking Thursday @ The Blog Stalker
Hookin Up w/ HOH
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Show Off Your Stuff @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts
DIY Under $5 @ A Little Tipsy
One Stop Shoppe @ The Southern Product Queen
Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
Northern Cottage Party @ Northern Cottage
Sew Cute Tuesday @ Creative Itch
Show Me What You Got @ Not Just a Housewife
The Inspiration Board @ Homework
DIY Project Parade @ DIY Showoff
Ta-Da Tuesday @ Mommy by Day Crafter by Night
Get Your Craft On @ Todays Creative Blog
Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings
Make-It-Yourself Monday @ An Original Belle
Made by you Monday @ Skip to my Lou


Follow Me on Pinterest

84 comments:

Sandy said...

Awesome! I never would have thought to use a measuring tape like this :)

Marinasognaecrea said...

Hi, I love your bag very much. I downloaded your tutorial, it's very clear, and the use of the metal tape is unusual but genius ;)
Thank you very much

pasqueflower said...

What a fun tutorial! Thank you.

pasqueflower said...

What a fun tutorial! Thank you.

Grandmakicki said...

You are a very clever person. I love your blog and have made 3 of your things. I am going to make up this one now. Keep it up for us who need people like you to help us along the way of giving to others.

h. rae said...

I just found your blog and am in AWE! This is a FABULOUS little bag and your sidebar is loaded with gorgeous crafts. I host a Monday link party and would love for you to join me with this craft (or as many as you like) at http://anoriginalbelle.blogspot.com/2012/01/make-it-yourself-monday-11-link-up.html

Wishing you a wonderful Monday!

annemarie said...

Thanks - this is a great tutorial - love the idea of using the metal tape!

Chris said...

I am in love with the ruffle!!!! You did a great job on the tute, I am definitely going to put the ruffle on the next bag I make. Thanks Suzanne. :)

Heather said...

So cute! I am definitely going to be making this :) Great tute!

Terrie said...

You're so creative and generous to share. Never thought how it's made until now. Big THANKS.

Prissy said...

So cute! This is going on my to-do list. You have so many wonderful tutorials! Love your blog.

Elli Scrivner said...

I can't wait to make this!

Pam said...

This is wonderful!

feelincrafty said...

ahhhh! love the use of the tape measure! I was wondering why you were calling it the snappy bag. Great idea! will have to pin this one!

Joyce said...

Lovely!
thank you for all your helpful tutorials. Just looking at the cute pouches you've made, makes me smile :)

Nana said...

Yes, keep creating! I love your blog an enjoy so much seeing what you have every day. Thanks for sharing your talent with those who follow your blog. YOU ARE AWESOME!

katy said...

This is so cute! Thanks for the tutorial.

Tammy said...

LOVE this! Your fabric choices were great and what a fab little bag!! Thanks for sharing :)

The Quilt Ladies said...

I love it, your tutorial is great. I'm going to facebook this too !

Daffy's Dream said...

Beautiful purse and tutorial

The Stuff of Success said...

This is so cute - I would love to have you link it to the Success U Party at www.thestuffofsuccess.com. Have a great day.

Katie @ The Crafty Blog Stalker said...

This is so cute and very clever! I would love is you shared with my Blog Stalking Thursday Link Party. http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-stalking-thursday-24.html

Julie Snow said...

WOW! I love this sew much! Your tutorials are so beautiful! Really. I am a sewing teacher and I LOVE your stuff. I am new to your blog and can't wait to read and see everything in it! Keep it up!

LoveItSewMuch.blogspot.com

Whimsy-ma-blog said...

YOu do the best tutorials. I really want to make one of these! thanks!

Whimsy-ma-blog said...

Oh, and I found this project through A Little Tipsy's DIY Under $5 where you are featured today.

Patti said...

What a clear and concise tutorial - this is adorable! How did you get the printer icon on your blog? Love that feature!

Please stop over to enter my giveaway for digital scrapbook software!

Brave Brooke said...

I would have never thought of using a tape measure but I can think of tons of ways I could use this!

If you're interested, we're hosting our first ever link up party. Please stop by and link up! http://www.waywardgirlscrafts.com/2012/01/wayward-weekend-week-1.html

Jen said...

The tape measure inside? So clever! And the rest of the bag? Darling! I'd be thrilled if you'd come share this at the Head to Head Showdown link party, going on right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com ~Jen

{northern cottage} said...

what an awesome idea - i NEVER would have thought of using the tape measure for the metal piece - such a smartie pants! awesome girlie - xo

www.northerncottage.net

Kathy said...

This is fantastic! A great use for my hubby's broken tape measure! I forgot to take into account that {the one I used} was a FatMax tape measure, which is wider than a typical tape measure, but I was able to cut it down, protect the sharp edges, and still make it work. Thanks much!!

kim gasaway said...

Wow, I've been fiddling around with ways to do this, but hadn't thought to try a tape measure. Thanks!

grammajudyb said...

Love these bags. Have made them before, but really like your idea of sewing one side before inserting the tape. The directions I own do not suggest that. Thanks

azteclady said...

Oh this is awesome!

I wonder if I can find smaller (not as wide) measuring tapes for cheap... *ponders*

Thank you!

peppercon connie said...

I love the design! So simple yet effective. I like the idea of having a snap opening instead of a zipper. Thanks
http://peppercon.blogspot.com/

Carole RB said...

Brilliant, thanks a bunch for the tut!

Mariska said...

Haven't tried it yet, but your tutorial looks very clear, and LOVE the clean look of the Snappy Bags you made, and the pretty colors.
Thanks for sharing!

Suzee said...

Genius !!! and adorable!! and there goes my husband's measuring tape! lol

KunstStücke said...

So wonderful, I like your combination of colourful fabrics and linen...that`s exactly what I like , too. Thanks for your ideas.
Greetings from gold old Germany.

Tanja

Diana Sp8 said...

This is such a great idea! I'll be making these as gifts at some point this year! I repinned it on Pinterest, too.

Phyldar said...

Spot on! Can't wait to whip up some of these for myself, family, and friends *Ü* Thanks so much!!!

- - Sheryl - - said...

I bought one of these at a Craft Fair last fall for $5.00 just so I can take it apart... now I do not have too! thanks

suzi.wollman said...

Wow. I mean, wow. I have a craft meeting this afternoon, and if I can find a measuring tape (look out, hubby!) I'm going to share it with them! Blessings to you!

BobbiD said...

Wow! I love this Snappy Bag Tutorial!! I am making similar in wool...but all hand made and quite tedious! These will be a snap!Thanks so much for sharing. I collected tape measurers at garage sales all summer so I am raring to go.

Stacey Lyn Tippetts said...

very cute! I made a bunch of these for Christmas presents from my mom's leftover quilt squares. They turned out so cute. http://staceylyndesigns.blogspot.com/2011/12/whatever-wednesday-handmade-for.html
Love the ruffle you've added though!

LaVonda Popp said...

This is wonderful - I've been looking for a nifty item to make for my co-workers. They will love it!

felcares said...

Wow! that's awesome. great tutorial!

Crafty-liz said...

Hi
I have a little purse that I bought while visitng abroad, I never knew what they used on the inside to close and to open like that. That is awesome! Thank you for the tutorial. Going to love making these for my 2 daughters. LOVE it!!

sewVery said...

Now I just need to convince my husband to let me destroy one of his tape measurers. What a great idea! Thanks.

Janette said...

Thanks for a wonderful tutorial. One thing - where is the printer icon please?

Janette said...

Thanks for a great tutorial.One thing- where is the printer icon, please?

Suzanne said...

Janette - The printer icon is at the bottom of the post... "print". ;o)

K-Sue said...

So clever! I Pinned this one!

Sherrie Martineau said...

Yahooo!! and Thank you!! fantastically clever and simple! Your instructions are wonderful, I made it in about 1 hour and smiling all the way!
Please keep creating, because you're genius!

Sherri M said...

I just made one of these to fit my sunglasses! Thank you for the tutorial!

sewbeautiful said...

Now this has that little extra frill to make it stand out from so many other little bags...AND the tape measure idea puts it over the top! You are genius!! Gotta make a bunch of these. Thanks so much!
Joan M.

tconlan said...

oh my gosh! this is the coolest!! thank you! :)

Alyssa said...

A friend showed me her bag that she was given that was made similar to this so I had to look online & found your tutorial, Thank you!

peytonsnap said...

Great tutorial. Your detail is much appreciated.
Have you had any problems turning this right side out with the measuring tape in there? If so, any tips on this? (I've obviously struggled with this already;)
Thanks, Sandy

Carmen Maidment said...

That is such a cute little bag, and really pretty fabric too! Thanks for the tut.
from The Very Fat Quarter.

Pam said...

I am sure that I will see it better when I get into making one of these, but is there not a way to make that side seam so that it isn't a raw edge showing at the opening of the little bag?? Could you sew up the sides before you fold under the top edge?? Slide the tape in sideways and top stitch??? Just wondering. Thanx for a great blog!!! tinkartist.blogspot.com

Liz said...

This was very helpful.
I'm making these for party favors for my daughters birthday party!

Liz said...

this was very helpful! I'm making these for party favors for my daughters birthday party. I'm excited to give this a go!
thanks!

assignments web said...

Nice blog to reading thanks for sharing such useful information this is very helpful for person who needs Homework Assistance Help and keep continue to sharing useful information.

dyedinthewool said...

Such a great tutorial and a fab idea for the closure. Just need to hunt out an old tape measure now!

GailM. said...

I made one!! It's red and white. It's sweet and I love it. I'll make some to give gift cards over the holidays. Thanks so much for sharing. I blogged about it a couple of days ago.

Nancy said...

Thank you so very much for this tutorial. I followed it step by step and my little purse turned out PERFECT!
Blessings~Nancy

Dheeraj said...

I'm impressed. You're truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. I'm saving this for future use.Writing research essays

Baye said...

Visiting from Sandra Sews cuz she made some of these that are awesome! My husband is definitely going to "lose" one of his measuring tapes.

Someone has probably already mentioned this in one of the many other comments, but I'm going to share here just in case. I was thinking that the rubber stuff you can dip tool handles in would be great for covering the edges of the measuring tape pieces.

Thanks for the great tutorial.

Pandora's box: indie handmade said...

Beautiful! Added to my to-do list!
I just started a blog as well, where I post tutorials and handmade purses, come and have a look! :)

http://pandorasindiebox.blogspot.co.uk/

lil227 said...

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial! I've made several of these bags to give as gifts and think they're awesome. I think this was the first thing I've made using any sort of pattern, and your tutorial was so easy to follow. Thanks again!

grammas said...

Just made two of these. The tutorial was perfect! Thank you.

kay said...

I've been wanting to try to make a pouch using a tape measure. thank you for sharing your pattern. Love the ruffle!

Julian Levi said...

You did great job... thanks for sharing the tute... now I can try this too..!
leather tote bags

Kathy said...

Thank you for this easy-to-follow tutorial. I have watched and read several tutorials, and your explanation is very easy to follow. I love the "perfectionist" aspect of finishing the bag as well. I made one of these bags two years ago but had forgotten all the steps. We're taking our grandchildren on a two-week trip to Colorado, and these bags will be excellent and fun organizational items for the car.

Linda J said...

You may have just saved me as I have a commercial pattern that uses metal measuring tape in it. I am truly perplexed with the pattern when it comes to the instructions of what to do with the tape and how to get it into the casing to form that hinge. A pal found the link to your blog and shared it with me as I am doing the prototype for the both of us.

THX so much and wish me luck on my purse. I love your little ruffled back and this might be a cool addition to my project since I have leftover fabric to make a wallet etc.

Sharlyn said...

Can't wait to try this!

Ana Lopes said...

Hi Suzanne, thanks so much for the great tutorial! I love your awesome project!
Have a fabulous weekend!
Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Dino Scanio said...

I made these for favors at my son's birthday party. I embroidered them with the theme character and added their name before sewing them up. Thanks for the great tutorial. They were a true HIT!!

RogersUIO said...

I made one of these yesterday -- what a great project! Your tutorial was excellent, nice and easy to understand. I used ric-rac instead of a ruffle. Now I know what my 5 Bible study friends will be getting for Christmas!

Patticakes Patricia Mishler Handmade said...

I just tried your tutorial and loved it!!!

Sally said...

Thanks for this - looks simple enough for me to do! I really like your website, which I'm visiting for the first - but certainly not the last - time! Best wishes,

Ria Smits said...

Thank you so very much for this tutorial,I was wondering where to get the materials to make one of these.Now I can go for it, you made me a happy camper.Greatings Ria

Faye Burden said...

Thank you for such a nice tut. The metal tape is a great idea. I am wondering if I do not have a tape could slats from mini-blinds work as well. May have to double and glue them to make them stronger. Just pondering.

karen thomas said...

Love this little bag, great for gifts. Thank you for your clear instructions they are so easy to follow. Thank you