Monday, July 26, 2010

I'm Wreathed in Smiles...

I made a couple of great finds over the weekend! For awhile I've been looking for something to replace a piece of art that has become outdated in my main floor powder room. I knew it might take me awhile to find "that perfect something", but I was in no particular hurry. On Saturday I was in Target and came upon this little 9 inch wreath. It was on "clearance" for $9.08. Sweeeet.

Because this wreath is only 9 inches in diameter it is too small for its designated space, so I knew I would need to combine it with another item to make it appear larger. I thought about hanging it from a frame, but I couldn't find a frame at Target that I liked. Then I remembered Hobby Lobby's clearance sale and wondered if there was something I might pick up there to help with this project. I bought the wreath and headed to Hobby Lobby. At Hobby Lobby I found this square tin plaque (below). I did just as instructed and "Rejoiced." Amen. Seriously, it was just what I was looking for.

Even better, it's price had been marked down to...

It felt a little sacrilegious to paint over the plaque, but I did it anyway. I reached for Rust-oleum American Accents in "oregano", and gave it a couple of coats...

After it dried I took out my sanding block and gave it a little character...

Then I attacked it with some glaze, and gently wiped it down to the desired finish...

I didn't think the glaze was going to make much of a difference, but when it dried it definitely had done the job.

Here's a collage showing the different effects of spray paint, sanding and glazing. Each process adds a little more depth and character to the piece. (This is also an interesting case study on how the color of something changes in different light. The first picture was taken in the evening, the second in the morning and the third mid day!)

When the glaze was dry I glued the wreath to the plaque and let it cure for 24 hours. This morning I hung it up.

With the wreath mounted on the plaque it is now 15 1/2 inches in diameter and perfect for the space.

I love it, and the fact that it cost $11 makes me appreciate it even more!



Linked to:
Funky Junk Interior's Color Link Up Challenge
Friday Fun Finds @ Kojodesigns
Looking for a Creative High @ Those Northern Skies
Garage Salen Partay @ Debbiedoos
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
Show Off Your Stuff @ Fireflies and Jellybeans
Get Your Craft on Thursday @ Life as Lori
Get Your Craft on Tuesday @ Today's Creative Blog
Anything Related @ All Thingz Related

Also - Check out "The Adventures of the Overloaded Mommy" for another idea on what to do with a plaque like this! Love it!