Thursday, June 10, 2010

Pedestal Bowl & Cloche Revamp...

You may remember my "Fabulous Friday Finds" post last week when I featured "vintage." I loved all the items, but my favorite was the vintage wooden pedestal bowl, for $20 including shipping. I fell in love with that little yellow bowl and considered buying it on the spot, but I got distracted. By the time I headed back to the shop to purchase it, it was gone.

Did I let that get me down? A little. Not a chance. I have a car, some keys, a little time, and a one track mind when I set my sights on something. I figured there was probably more than one wooden pedestal in the sea, so I started scoping out the local flea markets and thrift stores. At my second stop, a flea market, I came upon this...

Holy mother of pearl, my heart skipped a beat when I saw her. She was a might on the pricey side -- $20 -- but I put her in the cart anyway and kept looking. I came upon four more wooden pedestal bowls, each one smaller and more expensive, so I decided to suck it up and pay the piper.

After buying the wooden bowl, I headed over to a local thrift store to see if a cloche was still available that I had seen on my last visit. It was. It's mine now -- purchased for $4. That right there is a good example of the difference between the cost of items at thrift stores and flea markets. Thrift store prices are sooo much better!

I headed home, grabbed some spray paint and went to work. Rustoleum Americana in "Summer Squash" and "Heirloom White" did the trick. (I would suggest you grab your shades for this next picture.)

Holy cow -- those are bright! So, I roughed them up a bit. Ahhh, so much better...

Then I lathered some chocolate pudding all over 'em. Chocolate pudding is a fabulous glaze. You can paint it on then lick the brush! Mmmm...

Just kidding. I didn't really use chocolate pudding, but it does look like chocolate pudding. It does not, however, taste like chocolate pudding. Not that I'd know.

I gently wiped off the glaze to the finish I desired. This glaze is fabulous because it gets into nooks and crannies, tones down the paint, and leaves a satiny finish...

Here they are in all their glory...

I think I got pretty close to the original item...

Have a nice day!


Linked to:
Saturday Nite Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tatertots & Jello
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Looking for a Creative High @ Those Northern Skies
Linky Love Friday @ sweet Charli
Feature Yourself Friday @ Fingerprints on the Fridge
Remodelaholic's Anonymous @ Remodelaholic

31 comments:

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Those turned out great! Perfect for summer!

Blue Artichoke Interiors said...

Wow! That does look pretty close to your inspiration piece. I've had my eye for one of those while thrifting. I love the RL smoke glaze. I might just have to try that color.

Tins and Treasures said...

Good Morning,
I love how your items turned out with the smoky glaze. I have the exact cloche piece in my kitchen cabinet. It was a wedding gift! I should bring it out and use it more.

I am home for overnight and enjoying my wireless and the chance to get caught up with my favorite blog friends. It looks like you have been busy.

Have a great weekend. Take care ~Natalie

Gerry's Soap N Stuff said...

I love how your pieces turned out and the colors are beautiful.

Gerry

The Speckled Hen said...

Very nice - and love how the chocolate pudding transformed them.

Amanda said...

OH I love what you did! It looks so good! Great job!

Country Mouse said...

Love your transformations!!! I saw this similiar idea on another blog and like I told her there......
I saw one of these glass domes at my local thrift store but had no idea what I'd do with it! NOW I KNOW!!!LOL For $1 I think I'll go back and see if by chance it's there!!! :)

Renee said...

I love that yellow! You're so smart, Suzanne.

Lynn said...

Suzanne, these are great. I love the color you got on the wooden bowl. It would look great in my home, I'll have to try it on a kleenex box cover I have been wanting to change.

Kim said...

So pretty! I love the yellow, you did a great job with the sanding and glazing, too. I tend to be too "light handed".

Kara said...

Those turned out so charming! Love them both.

Staci said...

OK - you've got me loving the yellow. These would look fabulous with your yellow flowers in the milk jar carrier!

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I really like your transformations. You transformed something anyone could purchase from a store into something unique. Great job!

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

gorgeous work! I love the look, and they photgraphed so well... like a magazine picture.
way to go!
gail

Country Mouse said...

WooHoo! Went to back to the thrift store and found the Cloche and the wooden base!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!! You can see it here:
www.country-mouse.blogspot.com

Tonya said...

Love it! Great job!

Kristy said...

That's my favorite shade of yellow!

Kami @ Sweet Charli... said...

Very darling! I love it! It looks so cute with fruit in it! Thanks for sharing with Sweet Charli this week! :)

Kelley said...

Stunning! Wonderful job.
have a great day~

Jean said...

Great job! They turned out perfect. Jean

Nichole said...

Wow - great makeover! I love that summer squash color too - especially with the glaze over it.

Cecily said...

Holy fantastic! Those are awesome. Great job.

Lisa said...

Great projects. They both turned out beautifully.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

These pieces turned out great! I love the RL smoke glaze and I use it constantly. Thanks for your visit and sweet note on my Italian pottery.
xo, Sherry

Cassie said...

It is fabulous!!!!
Such a transformation!!!
=)

MiaKatia said...

Wow, so very cool! It has such great character now.

Bonnie said...

They look amazing! I love your color choice!

Beki - TheRustedChain said...

Just adorable!! Love that sunny yellow.

Megan said...

They turned out perfectly! I love the yellow color you chose, too!

Melissa said...

Ooh...lovely...the color is fabulous with the fruit - makes a great still-life. I love the picture of it next to your inspiration image.



You are this or last weeks winner - so confused...I apologize!! :)

Holly @ Roller Coaster Life said...

Gosh I love this!!! You did a great job! I would of bought the bowl for 20 bucks too! But there is such a huge difference between thrifting and flea markets! But each have their own pluses!

I just painted my cheese cloche a yellow! =)