Thursday, April 09, 2009

Thankful Thursday

What inspired me this week?
A few posts back I mentioned that I'm helping with a Family History Fair that our church is sponsoring for members of the community this weekend. These types of large community events occasionally take on the air of a Steven Spielberg production. Lots of time and energy is expended by many to ensure they are enjoyable, entertaining and educational. A month or so ago I asked several individuals if they might help by overseeing a display table or creating some art for a wall exhibit. Several of the people I asked are young mothers with full, fast-paced lives. They accepted these responsibilities willingly and enthusiastically. I appreciate and am inspired by the selflessness of others.

What surprised me this week?
I've heard it said that computers and/or the internet have the potential to isolate people from the world. The argument is if a person is on the computer they cannot be interacting with or relating to others, thereby shorting themselves of lasting relationships. I suppose that to be true in some ways, but I know my world has enlarged since I began my blog. I love reading about the lives, interests and talents of others, and I'm grateful to be a small part of your varied, energetic and creative lives. I appreciate the feeling of rapport and camaraderie that blogging elicits. I delight in the positive remarks of those who make comments -- both on my posts and others. Often I'm surprised by the kindness and compassion of others. This generosity of spirit is so amazing and it is given freely and abundantly in the blogging world. This week I've been the recipient of many, many kind comments. I'm appreciative of these interactions and your encouragement.

What moved me this week?
This morning my blogging friend, Rosie, wrote a post about "Perfection." She mentioned that everyone has their own definition of the word “perfect” as it applies to his/her life. It was a thought provoking post, and I've reflected on it a lot today. After sharing her thoughts, she asked the question, "What kind of perfection makes up your life?" After a little consideration that question made me realize that I am living a life of (my definition of) "perfection." This, of course, doesn't mean that I don't have challenges or that my life would satisfy everyone's idea of perfection, but I am living the life that I would choose for myself if I had a myriad of options at my fingertips. It's a wonderful thing to be content and happy. This thought moved me and filled me with gratitude!