Friday, March 30, 2012

Refurbishing Wrought Iron Furniture...

There's nothing easier than refinishing wrought iron furniture. I do it on a regular basis and it's as simple as wielding a paint can! If you're in the market for some patio furniture and you happen upon a well-used set of wrought iron, grab it quick. You can freshen it up in no time and have it looking like new. We've had our set for years now. It's been through a myriad of colors. We bought it when our seven kids were young. Buying something indestructible during that time in our lives was always appealing. Years later there's nary a dent in it and with a new coat of paint it still looks fabulous. Last year I painted this furniture a combination of lime green and turquoise, which definitely brightened our up our backyard! It went from drab tan...


to lime and turquoise in the space of a couple of hours.


The last couple of weeks I've been working on recovering the patio chair pads and the cushions (above) that I had inadvertently left out over the winter. They were worn and faded and in need of some beautiful new fabric -- fabric that competed with those turquoise chairs...


I decided to paint them a beautiful satin espresso color that I found at Home Depot. Generally speaking we Mormons try to distance ourselves from espresso and the like. In this case I couldn't get enough. That deep, dark coffee color was a perfect way to compliment the new fabric on the cushions. {If only that paint came in a "scratch and sniff" version, I'll admit to inhaling as I walk down the coffee isle at the grocery store. ;o) }


I really like how the cushions become the focus with this new coat of paint...


To refurbish wrought iron you only have to clean the surface -- either with a damp cloth or by spraying it down with water and letting it dry. Then, use a good quality spray paint and paint away. I used four cans of paint for all these pieces -- 4 chairs and a table. In a couple of hours you'll have a brand-new-looking set!


FYI:  May I recommend Scotts Turf Builder as a really good fertilizer for a lawn. It's the second best thing to spray painting your lawn a bright spring green {as illustrated in the pictures above}.