Thursday, April 19, 2012

Trellis Necklace Tutorial...


A few weeks ago I met my good friend Cindy for lunch and a day of shopping at a favorite mall. Upon her arrival I immediately noticed a gorgeous beaded necklace that she was wearing. Upon closer inspection I realized that it wasn't beaded -- that's when she told me about "Trellis Necklaces."


Have you ever heard of a Trellis Necklace? It's a crocheted necklace made of trellis ribbon yarn {sometimes called trellis fiber, ladder yard or ribbon yarn}. Trellis ribbon yarns are small, bright panels of color suspended between two rows of thin fiber...


From several feet away the ribbons look like small beads. When woven into a necklace this ribbon yarn makes a beautiful creation and one that is feather light! I love the new fad of bobbly-beaded necklaces, but they can be so heavy around the neck that they become uncomfortable. A Trellis Necklace is so light that, if not for the compliments you'll receive, you will forget you're wearing it! The necklace also sports a bead that when drawn up or down will lengthen or shorten the necklace -- fabulous!


While Cindy and I shopped two young (20-30ish years old) clerks in different stores stopped Cindy to asked where she bought her necklace. When Cindy explained that she had made it and how easy it was to make, they were stunned. I don't know if these would appeal to all younger women, but I think women 40ish and older would love them. I made some for my sister (50ish) and mother (80ish) a few weeks ago and they both enjoy wearing them too -- as do I!


With Mother's Day fast approaching I thought I would post a quick tutorial on how to make these amazingly easy-to-make and inexpensive fiber necklaces. The cost per necklace is approximately $1 -- no kidding. This necklace only requires a crocheted chain stitch that even the novice crocheter can accomplish. Go here for a You Tube Chain Stitch refresher course!

Materials needed: 


  • Trellis Ribbon Yarn {sometimes called: trellis fiber, ladder yarn or ribbon yarn}: I wasn't able to find local stores that carried trellis yarn, so I found a source online by Googling "trellis yarn." There are many Etsy stores that sell trellis yarn. I bought mine for $4.95 plus shipping, but there are a number of sources that are better priced on Etsy. You should be able to make at least 6 necklaces with one ball of trellis ribbon!
  • Crochet Hooks: size K (101/2-6.50MM) and an one with an itsy-bitsy hook 12/100MM.
  • Beads: I bought at Hobby Lobby (Michael's also carries this particular bead) in a package or 12. The hole in the bead needs to be big enough to draw all the fibers through, but small enough to hold  it's place on the necklace.  
  • Ruler & scissors

Directions:

1.) Cut 5 strips of yarn 2 1/2 YARDS long. 

2.) Measure 9 inches from one end and make a slip knot to begin your chain stitch. Chain until you come to within 9 inches of the other end; pull the remainder of the ribbon through the last chain to finish first strand of necklace. Lay this strand aside and repeat this same process with the remaining 4 strips of yarn.

3.) When all 5 strands are completed, bring them all together and line up the place on one end where you began to chain the stitch on each strand. Tie the ribbons together in a knot where you began to chain.


4.) Do the same thing at the other end of your strands of yarn by tying a knot at the end of the chain stitches there too.

5.) Take your bead and with your itsy-bitsy crochet hook snag the ends of the yarn lengths {on both sides of the necklace} and bring them through the hole in the bead.  Make sure the ends of the yarn are even through the bead (some strands might be a little longer than others) and make a knot at the end of the fibers by making a loop and pulling the ends through the loop -- pull tight and trim the ends even. The bead should slide up and down the length of the yarns to create a longer or shorter necklace. 


6.) Enjoy your beautiful fiber necklace!

This necklace is adaptable to your circumstance and size. Cut the fibers longer if you'd like a longer necklace -- and put more strands together if you'd like it more full! 


That's as simple as it gets! These necklaces can be made within a half hour -- start to finish. So fun and easy and beautiful to wear. Please remember the "Print" button at the bottom of this post if you'd like to print, with ease, this tutorial!

Because my creative juices are fueled by your wonderful comments, please leave one if you appreciate this tutorial. Thank you!


39 comments:

the momma (aka Shannon) said...

so pretty! Even after you showed the ribbon and revealed the 'secret I still couldn't convince my brain they weren't beads! (My brain can be stubborn like that sometimes) :-)

vexa said...

That is lovely. I have never seen this ribbon. I guess I have to stick to my crochet and beads.

Annie of Blue Gables said...

I got one of these for Christmas two years ago, and I have made several. I also crocheted around two pennies to make earrings to match. My friend who works at a hospital loves her set which matches with several of her scrubs and she uses it as a lanyard.
~a

Julie Snow said...

I need to find some of this yarn! It looks so fun to make - thank you!

Malmbergs said...

This is awesome and you are awesome for sharing! I am running right out to find some to make for friends and family. Thanks again!

Heidi said...

So pretty! Do you crochet this yarn just like any other yarn or do you have to put your hook through one of the loops? Thanks.

glassyladyks said...

I have some of this yarn Thank you for the tut!

Chris said...

Well that is just too cute! I have seen this yarn here but not used it. I will have to try my hand at it, my Mom would LOVE it...me too. :) Thanks Suzanne, you are always so inspirational!!

crochetgal said...

Your tutorial is extremely well written. I've had so many people asking me for a good tutorial when they've purchased their ladder ribbon yarns from me. I now know where to send them!

Suzanne said...

Readers - Crochetgal (above) is one of the sources on Etsy that sells ladder yarn or trellis yarn, go here:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/crochetgal?ref=em

Linda Southworth said...

No I had not heard of the trellis-ladder yarn necklace until your post. THANK YOU! I found yarn at several online sites and ordered. This should be fun. I see its been around for a few years but I totally missed it.

Lisa M said...

I was never able to master crochet and gave up after many, many attempts, but it looks like I will be trying again. Or, prehaps you will put some in your Etsy store? They are very pretty. Thankyou.

Cindi said...

Super cute and great tut! Love your blog!

Mia said...

I agree, I can't convince my brain that they aren't beads! Looks really cool.

Jade said...

These are so fun! Can't wait to make some of my own (and I'm 25). I love styles that transcend generations! I'm pinning this to pinterest!

Lara said...

Those are beautiful! This is definitely going up on Pinterest!

Lynne said...

Thank you for the tutorial. I recently met up with a friend that was wearing one....beautiful. Glad to know how to make them.

Janelle Wehmeyer said...

Great Tutorial. I haven't seen them made this way. I make my trellis yarn necklaces a little different. The 2 strands where you put the bead is also crocheted. On my website, www.YarnNecklaces.com, I have 50+ colors of Trellis Yarn for sale ($5.99 or less) and some unique jewelry patterns for this yarn.

Pearl Blay said...

I now have to buy some trellis yarn! Great tute!

Cyn said...

Absolutely love this, but have so much difficulty reading something as opposed to seeing it. Do you have a youtube video that shows how to do this? Or could you do one? I'm dying to make these for myself!

Nichole Patrick said...

A couple of ladies at a craft fair that I attended recently were selling these for $5 - $9 each. Being horribly frugal, I just wanted to make my own instead of buying one. Thank you for the tutorial as it was very helpful and has me excited about this project!

Annette Pratt said...

It is so nice to finally find a tutorial on how to make these gorgeous necklaces! Thank you so much!!!

VLovely said...

These are new to me, I made one and i LOVE it. Thank you. I'll be uickly putting a few if these rogether for Christmas presents!

Pegi Rose said...

Thanks so much for the clearly written instructions. It's so refreshing to see someone who actually takes the time to write correctly--to use capital letters, commas, and even semicolons! (Can you tell I'm an English teacher?) It's nice to know that there are still people who are conscientious enough to care about what impression they are making through their writing--which is probably the only impression most people will ever get of them!

Cheryl said...

Thank you so much for the instructions. Very understandable. My daugther gave me one for Christmas. I am waiting for yarn to make some for our church ladies.

cindi a morgan said...

Terrific tutorial-- very easy to follow. I came across another that didn't include the bead, which I think is a brilliant touch. Thank you!

erasmouse said...

Great tutorial -- made my first necklace the other day and couldn't believe how easy it was! Had been searching all over to find out what is called trellis/ladder yarn, and finally came across this blog. Thank you, thank you, thank you! -- Elaine

erasmouse said...

Great tutorial -- made my first necklace the other day and couldn't believe how easy it was! Had been searching all over to find out what is called trellis/ladder yarn, and finally came across this blog. Thank you, thank you, thank you! -- Elaine

AnnDunklau said...

This is a wonderful tutorial! My mom, who is 92, learned how to do these on her last trip to Vegas! I was amazed. They are so elegant. Guess that is why she liked them so much. She is one elegant lady!

GMABELLA said...

Should each strand be cut 2 1/2 yards long? That seems too long to me if I understand it. Thank you!

Suzanne said...

Yup -- 2 1/2 yards long is correct.

LINDA LEONARD said...

Suzanne,
For some reason, I can't see the
trellis necklace. I printed the directions, but when I pull up the
necklace I get and black screen and nothing . Can you help me?

Kavita Moza said...

yeah!! i really like the designs...
i wanna try this awesome Necklace

GMABELLA said...

Thank you! I've made quite a few and I get lots of compliments on them.

Tulips said...

Wow, I'm so glad I stumbled across this! I bought a ton of ladder yarn to make a summer shrug a year ago, not realizing that it wasn't really as simple to knit with as everyone assured me. This summer, with this to accessorize, who'll notice my heavy arms?! I can't wait to get started. A zillion thanks!

Deni(se) said...

Thank you for sharing it. I'm going to give it a try. They'd be great to give as Christmas gifts ... I might even get some done if I start now! ;-D

Kathy4fun said...

Thank you Suzanne for the very easy to follow tutorial on the ladder chain necklaces. I have seen others but your's seems much easier to follow. I would also like to see a bead or something to 'hide' the very ends of the necklace so it would appear to be more professionally done. I will have to see if there is something in the hobby stores to cover the ends and will just slide over them.

Thank you so much!

phyllis zimmerman said...

Thanks so much, can't wait to try this.

Marly said...

I can't wait to hunt down some ladder yarn and get going.