Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Shabby Chic Flower and Lace

Do you remember a week ago that I mentioned I went to one of our local flea markets and purchased some items? One of the items was the vase filled with spheres of various sizes and shapes of string. I still smile every time I walk by it. That day I was also looking for vintage hand-worked lace for a muslin pillow I was dreaming up. I was so happy when I found the perfect thing. Take a look...

I thought it was beautiful and the price was lovely as well.

It wasn't actually a tablecloth but a smallish runner. It had a few little imperfections where age had taken its toll, but I knew I could work around those and make something wonderful.

I love the idea of repurposing something of worth. It makes my heart happy. Especially something that originally took someone a lot of time and effort to make. I started by cutting around those imperfections and attaching the lace to the front of the pillow...

Then I whipped that little pillow into shape and added a few beautiful muslin posies...

This little beauty turned out just the way I envisioned her. I'm always grateful when an idea comes together. I'd love to keep her, but she's headed to my Etsy...



Linked to:
Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
Be Inspired Link Party @ Room to Inspire
Boardwalk Bragfest @ Bobbypins Boardwalk
Woo Hoo Wednesday @ Always Nesting

23 comments:

Kayla Danelle Anderson said...

Beautiful!! I love it! Great repurpose :)

Always Nesting said...

Suzanne - that pillow is to die for!! I love it and I'm so glad you joined us to Woo Hoo! over this treasure. It's amazing and I'm heading over to your Etsy shop.

Lynn said...

I love this pillow! It would look just beautiful on my bed!! What a great idea to use the old lace as trim.

Lisa said...

Suzanne, You are just SO talented! I just LOVE that pillow.. then I looked at the flowers, then I went to the tutorial, then I saw the TOTES..then the paper mache box.. I kept getting deeper and deeper into your posts. You are extremely talented!
Thanks for your visit today. Your comments mean a lot!
Lisa

Becca's Dirt said...

That pillow is gorgeous. You have some beautiful visions girl.

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Very pretty! I love vintage linens and your addition of the rosettes is perfect! It's so nice I wish I had made it!

Becky said...

You do such great redos! Love the queen bee pillow too!

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com said...

Oh that is sooo pretty! Like a lovely little envelope. :) I love the fabric flowers - they really finish it off.
Thanks for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment. :)

Elissa said...

You've done it again! Another beautiful pillow! I was just looking at vintage linens yesterday and almost purchased some, but didn't know what I would use them for. You have given me some wonderful inspiration!! Have a great day!

Traci at ThreeDogsAtHome said...

I just adore all of your pillows. I have some antique linens that are damaged in places so I will have to see if they would work for this project. Thanks for sharing a great inspirational pillow.

Shannon said...

This pillow is so beautiful and creative. Great job mom!

Monica@The White Bench said...

Beautiful pillow and great job!
Thanks for visiting today.
Monica.

colonialhomestead said...

Oh my this pillow is beautiful. In my mind I can just see it on my bed. The flowers are amazing. You did a wonderful job!

Denise said...

That pillow is gorgeous, I love the roses on it - great job :)

Meg said...

Gorgeous Pillow! Meg

she wears flowers said...

Beautiful--you have a great eye for things!

Room to Inspire said...

What a super sweet pillow! Another lovely one indeed. Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired today.

Chelsea

Tammy@ A Doctor in the House said...

Just adorable! You're a great seamstress!

MiaKatia said...

Do I say this with every pillow? That one may be my favorite pillow yet. Amazing!

Tina said...

Oh I can't believe I nearly missed this post! I love your new pillow Suzanne, you always amaze me with your beautiful sewing!! ~ Tina xx

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

You make some of the prettiest pillows and this one is gorgeous! Makes me want to learn to sew.
Hugs,
Sherry

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Oh Suzanne, that is adorable. And what a great price you found that for. I love the little roses, they add that perfect touch.

Jen

Maureen said...

I just love that project. It makes me want to dig out those little scarves & runners I can't seem to let go of, and see if I can repurpose them into pillows. Yours is beautiful.