Thursday, May 20, 2010

Container Gardens - Part 2

Yesterday I posted about my obsession with surrounding myself with flowers throughout the year and, specifically, about creating beautiful container gardens in the spring. I ended up planting all of the flowers I had in those pictures into 15 containers. It felt so good! Here are a few shots of the containers as they are now...

The plants look a little puny now, but within a few weeks these containers will be filled out and be overflowing in blossoms. A few hints for maintaining container gardens might be:
  • Soil - Purchase a good quality potting mix. Some come with fertilizer added, which might save you some time and money.
  • Fertilize - I fertilize (Miracle Grow works well) approximately every other week to keep the plants putting out magnificent blooms.
  • Drainage - Make sure your pot has adequate drainage. If your container doesn't have a hole in the bottom, drill one. Put a thick layer (at least several inches) of mulch, bark, or rocks in the bottom of your container before you add your soil to facilitate drainage.
  • Dead Head - For those plants that need dead-heading, do it often! I dead-head every other day. That way the plants are constantly producing beautiful blooms.
  • Water - In Colorado during the heat of the summer that sometimes means morning and evening, but usually only once a day. Keep the soil moist. Plants in clay or foam pots (more porous) will need more water than those in plastic containers.
  • Entertaining - If you have a scheduled outdoor event in your yard and you want your containers to be at their best, clip off all the flowers on them about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks before the event. This will ensure new, luscious flowers for the event.
  • As you plant the flowers into the containers, make sure to leave space around the plants for growth. Avoid packing the plants too tightly.
When I first plant a container, it usually looks a bit sparse. But it doesn't take long for the plants to fill the container. Here is an example of that. This is a photo taken the end of May (last year) just after planting:

This is the same container a month later...

Here are a few more photos from past summers of container gardens in all their glory...


There's nothing that welcomes a guest like a lush, vibrant container overflowing with blossoms situated by your front door. On a patio, container gardens can surround a sitting area with soft fragrances and can create a more charming atmosphere. I hope this post encourages you to plant a container garden, especially if it's something you've never tried. Happy planting!


Linked to:
We're Organized Wednesday @ Organize and Decorate Everything
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple


13 comments:

Brook said...

What wonderful information! My mom tried to teach me these tips, but as a visual learner, I couldn't remember her advice. :) Your words and photos are a great help!

Always Nesting said...

Oh, Suzanne, beautiful!!

Renee said...

I love it!

Window On The Prairie said...

Hi Suzanne,
It's not often I find someone who spells their name the same as I do. Love the helpful hints about planters. Will take your advice.
Take care,
Suzanne

Silver Strands said...

Very, very nice Suzanne! The flowers AND the containers.
xoxooxx
Denalee

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

Wow, those pots are gorgeous!! I like taking pictures of my pots right after I plant them and then compare the growth after a month or two. When you see the flowers everyday you forget how much they have grown.

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

They look fabulous! I would need you to lead me by the hand and tell me exactly what to buy. It sort of goes right over my head.
:(
Your containers would cost soooo much money as mature planters! They are gorgeous.
gail

Jean said...

Suzanne, You are so good at filling pots. I seem to really struggle with it. I love the beverage caddy. Such cute ideas! Jean

Chris said...

Thanks so much Suzanne! I loved looking at all your flowers. I have some flowers and pots just waiting for me to put them together. You had some great tips, and answered a few of my questions I have had as I have been figuring out what I want to do with my plants! Thanks for sharing!!

Becolorful said...

this was really helpful for me. I think I could be president of plant killers anonymous but every May hope springs eternal and I give it another try. My flowers look so pretty when I bring them home from the nursery but by the 4th of July they look kind of gangly, thin and sad. Maybe you could do some regular posts throughout the summer for us with a black thumb.
:)
Pam

TheNormanFive said...

Gorgeous !!!!! They make a place beautiful...

Frugal Home Designs said...

Those are gorgeous!

Leanne said...

THanks for linking to We're Organized Wednesday. Your potted flowers are gorgeous. I can't wait to finally pot mine this weekend. Have a beautiful weekend.