Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Birdies on a Branch


I'm ready for Spring to arrive for good. No more quick social calls then heading south for weeks at a time. We need spring to plant herself here for the remainder of the season. Snow is predicted this week, but I keep telling myself "surely this last onslaught of freezing temps signals the end of winter." Surely. We have flowers blooming, trees leafing out, and birdies chirping merry songs in tree branches. See...



I'm thinking that fabricated chirping birds are better than none. These little birdies help me realize it's spring even as temperatures dip outside once again. Danged if these little feathery friends aren't the cutest -- sitting there on that crooked branch shooting the breeze with their buddies.

I do love waking up to birds warbling in the tree branches right outside my window in the morning! I can't wait until it's a regular occurrence.

These little birdies are going to be flying extra high this week. Our son is graduating from law school this weekend, and he and his family are moving into a new home within a week or so. Mr. Man and I are flying to St. Louis to attend the festivities this weekend. This little bunch of sparrows will reside in their new home as a house warming gift.

I used the same technique as always. (Go here for further information on how to stencil on fabric.) First, I found some birdies on the web. Then, I made a paper stencil. Next, I sponged the birdies onto the fabric with craft paint, and, finally, I whipped up the pillow. Easy as pie.

Here's hoping spring has sprung in your neck of the woods!



Linked to:
Get Your Craft on Thursday @ Life as Lori
Show Off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
Boardwalk Bragfest @ Bobbypins Boardwalk
Woo Hoo Wednesday @ Always Nesting

23 comments:

Tammy@ Not Just Paper and Glue said...

I'm so sorry that you are expecting snow - still. That just seems so odd. Congrats to your son on his graduation. That is awesome! Enjoy your trip and I am sure that they will love their housewarming gift.

Always Nesting said...

Suzanne, Congratulations on your son's wonderful accomplishment!Woo Hoo! There's nothing better than sharing in the joy of our children. I'm so happy you joined your upcoming celebration (and that great pillow) to Woo Hoo! Wednesday.

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Congratulations to your son on such an accomplishment and to yourselves for a family milestone. Your bird pillow is stylish and chic and I am totally jealous. I have to try the stencil technique. Have to. Safe trip to you!

salmagundi said...

Have a glorious, fun time at graduation. I have a feeling that spring in our Colorado is over, and after this last snow this week; it will be summer. Sally

Beth said...

LOVE those birdies! Congrats to your son! Enjoy the weekend!

Beverly @ FlamingoToes.com said...

That is a great pillow! I love the design. So pretty!

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk said...

OK -- for you it's easy as pie...I love that you painted on the pillow. It makes for a unique one of a kind piece. Your sewing is marvelous -- all the gathering is just beautiful.

Now I live very near St. Louis -- just across the river actually. How I wish I could meet you, but I'm actually heading to Peoria for my daughter's graduation.

What school is he graduating from? Wash U? We're talking a very smart young man here, aren't we?

Will you have time to do any site-seeing while in St. Louis? But I guess you've probably already done that.

If your son is going to be living in St. Louis, then I'm sure you'll be visiting again. Please feel free to contact me and we can get together for lunch or something.

Have a wonderful time!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Another great one!! You rock!!

Renee said...

Congratulations to your family! What an accomplishment.

That pillow is just lovely too!

Le Chateau des fleurs said...

Your blog is just refreshing....Great and beautiful tutorial, great Etsy store...Beautiful pictures...Flowers...LOVE IT!
Thank you for visiting my blog :)
Following you, come follow me back :)

XOXO
Frenchy

Whimsical Creations said...

How pretty!!

Theresa @ 612Riverside said...

I love your pillow, as I'm sure your sons family will in their new home! Wow, what a wonderful weekend you have planned. Congrats to your son. Theresa

Maureen Makes It said...

This is really a show stopper. The stenciling is such a great idea. I love this pillow-- so unique.

Jingle said...

Oh, I SO love that!!!!

Melissa said...

Those are very pretty little birds...love the texture of the pillow too.

Remodelaholic said...

That pillow is gorgeous! I love it!

Meg said...

Easy as pie?!? Maybe for you! :)- The pillow is gorgeous! I need to learn how to sew. Ha!

Cindy said...

What a lovely pillow to gift your son with and he must be so thrilled to finally be graduating from Law school.
I love that pillow and I am going to make one kind of like it, hope you don't mind. If I do, I will link over to you, so folks will know where it came from. Thank you for the tutorial on making the rosettes, I was finally able to make one after following your great instructions. Thank you so much. I love them!

Sandy@Life Began In A Garden said...

Super cute pillow, I'm going to have to check your tutorial on stenciling :)

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a kind comment, I love comments!

Ashlee said...

I LOVE your pillows! I can't wait until my remodel so I cam finally get some pillows in my house!

PrettyDarnCute said...

I just love your bird pillows. Something about birds. I admire your sewing talent.
Prettydarncute
http://nurserydecorforbaby.blogspot.com

MiaKatia said...

Love the pillow! Have a blast this weekend and give everyone hugs for us.

Shannon said...

that pillow is really cute. love it. way to go to your son (and my bro). now he can help provide for the rest of us. how can i convince my other siblings to get a law degree?!