Monday, May 17, 2010

PB Drink Caddy Turned Centerpiece

Several weeks ago I mentioned that I had purchased a galvanized metal drink caddy from Pottery Barn. I first saw this gorgeous piece of decor filled with beautiful objects -- not just beverage bottles -- several months ago on "someone's" blog. Unfortunately, I have spent the last 30 minutes trying to find that post amongst my katrillion "bookmarked" posts to no avail. I also can't remember the person who posted or the blog it was on! (Yes, that details the state of my muddied mind at the moment.) I hate it when I can't give credit where credit is due -- especially when her ideas were ones that I used. (So sorry.)

(Update! Good news. Today I was rifling through my blog list and came upon a site that I knew immediately was the one where I had first seen the drink caddy. Ten minutes later I had found the post! Go here to "No Minimalist Here" to see the original post I referred to in the above paragraph! I definitely want you to see Sherry's version because it is so lovely!)

{Above image from Pottery Barn website.}

Anyway, after seeing that elusive post, I high-tailed it to PB and bought a drink caddy to fill with luscious objects. I wanted to use it as a centerpiece on our dining table off our kitchen. The purchasing of the caddy was the easy part. Finding the "luscious objects" proved to be more of a challenge.

My first stop was to a few local thrift stores and flea markets to see if I could find three old milk bottles to fill with water and fresh flowers in to put into the container. I found one at a thrift store and two more at a flea market. The thrift store find cost $.50 -- the flea market finds cost $10 & $12. That's a good illustration of the difference between prices at a thrift store and prices at a flea market. Thrift stores always have better deals! Here are those cute little milk bottles...

Next I wanted to try to find some pewter cups to fill in a couple more spaces in the caddy. Instead I found these hammered silver tumblers on Etsy. I had a difficult time finding items that would fit well in the spaces provided. These worked like a charm!

I then went hunting for some silverware to put in one of the hammered tumblers. This time I was smart and went straight to a thrift store. I found some unmatched silverware (6 forks and 6 knives) for $.25 each. When I went up to pay for them, the cashier only charged me $.97 for all of them. I mentioned to him that he was only charging me 1/3 of the actual price. He looked at me like I was an idiot. I shut my yap and moved on. I don't know why I get pleasure out of mismatched silverware, but I do.

At that same store I also picked up this sweet little vinegar bottle for $.10. Love the ribs on it. I filled this baby with rocks, mostly because I couldn't think of anything else to put in it. I also wrapped a little tag on it that I received when I bought the next item.

These next items -- two little vintage linens -- were found here on Etsy. My kitchen and nook colors are blue and white with a few yellow accents, so I love these colors tied into the caddy.

And now for the finished project...


Linked to:
Trash to Treasure @ Reinvented
Anything Related Tuesday @ All Thingz Related
Mad Skills Monday @ Support Blog for Moms of Boys
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays @ Coastal Charm

31 comments:

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

Suzanne... that is perfect! How cute it is. I love the colors of the flowers and the napkins.
Great finds on the silverware and vases!
tag... cute!
gail

MiaKatia said...

So creative! I absolutely love how you pulled all that stuff together. Love all the etsy finds.

Lisalulu said...

two words: Love It.

Julie said...

Isn't it just amazing what a beautiful thing you can put together from thrift store finds??? Gorgeous!

Staci said...

I <3 this! I have a red one that holds 4 bottles. I wasn't able to find milk bottles at my thrift store or flea market, so I used old soda bottles. I have a green, glass 7-Up one, a Coca-Cola bottle that had been stored in my hubby's grandma's basement since the 1960's (it's still full), and a Coca Cola bottle that my grandmother bought in Mexico (same shape but smaller than the US version).
I filled mine with red and yellow wild flowers, but I'm getting tired of them. I like the idea of mismatched utensils!
Thanks for the a-ha!

Ginger said...

I have awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award! Head on over to SSB and check it out!

http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com/2010/05/versitile-blogger-awardi-won.html

Ginger

Ginger said...

Love this! Link it up to Mad Skills Monday at SSB!

Ginger
SSB

Melissa said...

It looks adorable...I love thrift stores but find way too many excuses to grace their doorways!!

Bird said...

ooh I so love that!!!

EVERYTHING you added just complemented the whole piece! :)

Job VERY well done!!

Came over from All Things Related!

Hugs,
Bird

kim said...

Love it, love it, love it. The whole display is wonderful. Love your old milk bottle finds and everything you added is just perfect!

harmonie park said...

wonderful! i love to see the linens are happy in their new home! what a delightful collection. thanks so much for linking back to harmonie park.

Renee said...

You're so good! I also love the double bloom tulip photos. Maybe I'll try some this winter.

KayC. said...

Very cute! I'm glad that you shared this idea with us...I know what you mean about "bookmarked" post. I have that same problem.

Patina Marie said...

What a fun post! Very fresh and right up my alley!

I think posting and/or copying someone else's
idea and/or photo is a nice compliment - even if you can't remember who to link back to. I try to give credit where credit is due too, but sometimes finding it is like a needle in a haystack!

As long as there's only good meaning behind it all and NO vicious intent, I think most of us "creative" types here in blogland understand....

Cheers!

Ginger said...

Lov'n this...so country cute! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!

Ginger
SSB

Kim said...

First of all, let me just say that I LOVE your blog! How have I not seen it before! Well, I'm following you now, and you are 1 away from 200!! Good for you! Your display is so lovely and oozing with charm. You did good!
xoxo,
Kim

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Ahhhhh...this is sooooo CUTE...luv how you have displayed with it! Hope you have had a blast at NTT!

Blessings,
Linda

Lisa said...

WOW, I just love that. I would love to find one of those. You've filled it so creatively! Great find, and you took some terrific pictures of it!
Lisa

Room to Inspire said...

I just love this! I might have to high-tail it out to find one of my own. I couldn't believe it, but I wasn't following your lovely blog until today - and I am 200! Congrats!

Chelsea

Leanne said...

That is so beautiful. Now I want one. I love the tumblers and the ribbed bottle is so cool. The flowers are pretty gorgeous too.

★All Thingz Related★ said...

I love it! The little details are perfect.
Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related!

Robyn said...

I HEART your ideas! I bought a milk carrier from my antique man a few years back and It's almost always my constant centerpiece on the island...blue ball jars fit nicely too and look FABULOUS with flowers!

Robyn said...

ps...so glad I saw this on reinvented!

Kimm at Reinvented said...

I love it! What a great job you did pulling adorable items together to fill it up! thanks for linking up.

LovelyBlogger said...

Just wanted to let you know that SuperStinkyBoys has featured you! Check it out at the link below and feel free to snag my Featured button!

http://superstinkyboys.blogspot.com/2010/05/mad-skills-monday-link-party-9.html

Ginger

One Life Many Journeys said...

I like the mix of glass and hammered tumblers. Isn't it fun to put your twist on something you have seen out in Blog Land?

Visiting from Reinvented: Trash to Treasure.

Cheryl said...

I like how you've used it - looks so much nicer than with just drinks in it!

Heather-Paper Princess Studios said...

You've inspired me to pull out my drink caddy and do something with it :). I found a drink caddy like this at Goodwill a year ago for $6.00- I knew I had to get it because it has so much potential.

Nouveau Stitch said...

I so need a centerpiece right now! What s great idea to make it functional too. LOVE it! I'm now on the hunt.....

Ellen

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Hi Suzanne, I know this is an older post but I just found it! I love how you decorated the carrier. Isn't it such a versatile piece? Thank you so much for the mention, I truly appreciate it.
Hugs, Sherry

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am checking this blog using the phone and this appears to be kind of odd. Thought you'd wish to know. This is a great write-up nevertheless, did not mess that up.

- David