Monday, May 24, 2010

Framed Vinyl

Vinyl wall decals are the rage right now and for good reason. They add a punch of color and whimsy to any room. A month or so ago I ordered a vinyl wall decal from this fantabulous site for bedroom redo #3. Dali Decals shipped my vinyl decal right out, but when it arrived it looked like this...

Yikes! I immediately called Dali and even though it wasn't their fault (the carrier service did the dastardly deed) they told me to keep the slightly damaged one, and they would ship another one out that day. Don't you just love good customer service?

So ... what to do, what to do with the damaged version? Since my daughter was decorating her living room with the same lime green color I asked if she would like it. It was only slightly damaged -- a leaf was torn off and it was lightly creased in spots. I sent it off to her, and she is graciously allowing me to show you what she came up with!

She had a vision of the vinyl being more of an art piece than an applique on the wall. She had previously bought a 2 foot x 4 foot frame at Hobby Lobby at 90% off for $8.50. She used a little spray paint magic on it to turn the frame a dark brown.

Then she bought a piece of plywood at HD and had it cut to size for the frame. She painted the plywood an aqua color (another accent color she's incorporating into her living room) and put a couple layers of Mod Podge over the paint to give it texture and a bit of shine. Then she applied the vinyl branch to the painted plywood.

She's very happy with the result, and I think it's fabulous! I love the bright colors and design of the artwork and the dark, chocolate colored frame showcases the colors perfectly!



Linked to:
Anything Related Tuesday @ All Thingz Related
Toot Your Horn Tuesday @ A Silly Little Sparrow
DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land
Motivate me Monday @ Keeping it Simple
Met Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Craftastic Monday @ Sew Can Do