Thursday, April 15, 2010

Last, but not least... my shabby chic creation

This week I've been creating some pillows to bring a little springtime and softer colors to my entryway landing. As I said yesterday when I showed you pillow #2, I've chosen to "lighten up" this area of my entry and give it a tone on tone, cream-colored, monochromatic feel. It's easy on the eyes.

After making pillow #1, I decided the next two pillows had to be less busy, more simplistic designs. Even though pillow #3 is stenciled with an intricate scrollwork, the monochromatic feel of the design lends itself to a more simple approach.

I started by finding a damask scroll on the web that I liked. I copied it and enlarged it a bit to make this stencil...

Then I spent about an hour cutting out the stencil whilst watching Bill O'Reilly. It was torture. Feel free to take that any way you want. (I'm a big fan of Fox News -- Bill O'Reilly not so much.) Anywho, it did take some time to cut the stencil out and was a little grueling, but I'm cheap frugal and I'd rather make my stencils this way than spend $30-$40 purchasing one. This stencil cost nothing but the paper and my time.

I chose some paint, Apple Barrel Craft Paint in "Country Tan" that would give a tone-on-tone feel for the project. I ended up cutting the color of the paint even further by adding some white to it, so it ended up just a shade darker than the fabric I was using. For more detailed information on how to stencil on fabric, check out this post that I published last week. Suffice it to say this project required a little more skill because of the intricacy of the design, but I just worked a little faster (before the paper curled from the paint as it dried). I wanted a kind of softened washed out effect for the stencil, so I didn't worry about getting the coverage of the paint exactly the same all over.

I pumped up the color on this next photo a little so you could see the scrollwork better. It's much more subtle in person. Mmmmm-kay. We're ready for the reveal...

This morning I put the pillow together. Here she is in all her glory...

I know I've made about a bazillion pillows lately and you are probably getting sick of viewing yet another one.

Next week I'll move on to something different. Probably. Maybe. Most Likely. By the way, the statistics for this baby: $2. (I already had the pillow form.)

I have gotten some requests to make a tutorial about how I gather my fabric for pillows and other projects, so I'll whip a post up along those lines next week too.

I'll also show you the redecorated landing with the pillows and a few other items I'll be collecting today...

Have a great day!


Linked to:
Visit thecsiproject.com
Friday Fun Finds @ kojo designs
Show Off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies and Jellybeans
Get Your Craft On Thursday @ Life as Lori
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage

19 comments:

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

I am not tired of pillows... This one is FAB!! I can't wait to see how you use them on the landing.

pamela said...

Seriously looks better than what I see in the boutiques. So pretty and tasteful.

Thanks for stopping by Becolorful and leaving such a flattering comment. You know, flattery will get you anywhere. :)
Pamela

Lanie Ree said...

So beautiful.

Becca's Dirt said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving such a nice comment. So nice to meet you and I love your blog. I've been wanting to make some pillows. I'm loving your blog. I am following so I'll be back.

polwig said...

There are wonderful and they fit every style... so classy.

http://polwig.com

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

this is a really pretty pillow, it's hard for me to decide which one I like the best!
I can't believe you cut that stencil out! You did a great job. I've never cut out anything to intricate.
Have you ever tried using a spray adhesive to adhere your stencil temporarily while you paint? I used Elmer's on my fleur-de-lis pillow.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my headboard (backpack/chalkboard) :)
hope you had a great day!
gail

too Blessed to Stress said...

ohhhhh... so pretty! I agree, an intricate design can be made to not be "the stand out" when using tone on tone colors. It just adds such a wonderful sence of beauty to a plain pillow! I love ut :)

~ Emily N. from "too Blessed to Stress"

Jan said...

You are amazing! (I know I"ve said it before and clearly I will say it again - -because you are!) -- these are lovely.

Suzanne said...

Thanks so much for all your kind comments, Everybody! Gail, your idea about using spray adhesive to hold the stencil down is a good one and, yes, I have considered it. Unfortunately, I haven't bought any yet, and I am always in a rush when I do these projects, so I wing it with what I've got. Your suggestion, however, makes a whole lot of sense and would make it sooo much easier! ;o)

Lorie said...

Gorgeous! And I love the tone on tone look!

MiaKatia said...

I am ready for a visit ;) We could totally whip my house in to shape with some lovely pillows. I haven't touched my sewing machine since January ack!

Tina said...

Suzanne, this pillow is divine!!! I love it:) That stencil must have been so fiddly to cut out!! Could you cut out a stencil from freezer paper and then iron it onto the fabric, paint the stencil and then remove the freezer paper stencil? Your pillow turned out perfectly and I can't wait to see your landing reveal:) ~ Tina x

Fawnda said...

Beautiful! I Love the tone on tone! And great job cutting out the stencil!

Maggie said...

luv luv the pillow, you can create your own stencils from Provo Craft Cricut machine.
Maggie
http://cuttlebugchallenge.blogspot.com
http://cuttingabove.blogspot.com

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love this and love your stencil! I've been wanting to do this forever, maybe this week? You have great style.

Anonymous said...

I loved the damask that you found. Thanks for the lending of it. I am not going to use it on a pillow but I am going to use it on my patio door which I am turning into Faux stained glass.

http://theweeklytrashandtreasure.blogspot.com/

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

Love your stenciled damask pillow, just gorgeous. Your technique is at the top of my list of projects, I am intrigued and excited. Hey, what can go wrong? ;0)

Colleen @ MuralMaker&More said...

It's just sensational! Love it.

Are stencils really $30-40? I'm completely stencilling challenged. I've tried, really I have. Never turns out. So I just paint.

I'm showcasing this project for How-To Tuesday!

FineArtPainting said...

We love how you did this project and were wondering if you were interested in guest posting a tutorial of an upcoming stenciling project on our blog http://www.finecraftguild.com

We are looking for guests for mid to late September.

Let us know if you are interested.

Meanwhile, with any of your existing projects, do join our DIY linky parties every wednesday, and the current one here:
http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-8/

Rose