Monday, April 19, 2010

First Impressions...

They say a first impression is made within the first few moments of an encounter. It appears people really do make up their minds that quickly about strangers or situations. It's human nature, I guess.

I'm thinking that's why an entryway is an important feature of a home. It's what the guest sees first and an impression is immediately made. It sets the stage for the rest of your home. It makes your guests feel welcomed, or not. The decor might even be a safe, ready topic of conversation as someone walks through the door which puts your visitor at ease. Mind you, I have no level of expertise here ... just a few years of experience and a little common sense.

That's one of the reasons I wanted to change up my entryway. I wanted a more welcoming feel than I felt it had previously. As usual I wanted to create a new atmosphere on a budget, and incorporate a few of my own projects.

This redo was influenced by many of the beautiful shabby chic and decorating blogs I've been reading lately. From those who refinish furniture to those who make fun, creative, frugal decorating projects I've been impressed by the creativity and imagination of many. I'm so appreciative of those who share their talents and creations so willingly.

The area I wanted to redecorate is a landing on our curved staircase going up to our second floor. The landing is one of the first things that is seen as one walks through our front door. I started the rejuvenation project by making pillow #1, pillow #2 and pillow #3 (see below). I already owned a metal urn (Pottery Barn) and some "cherry branches" (Restoration Hardware) that have been the focal point on the landing for a couple of years. I used pillow forms from pillows that I already had, and I purchased the fabric for the new pillows on sale, so the total cost of all three pillows was under $10.

From there I collected a few more items -- mostly purchased at a franchise store called, Real Deals. It's been my favorite go to store for home furnishings lately. They have fabulous prices on home decor. For me part of the challenge of redecorating an area is finding great deals or using or refurbishing already purchased items in a new way.

We'll start with the candleholders that I posted about previously. I refurbished them from black to shabby chic white.

candlestick holder @ Real Deals, $6; candle @ Hobby Lobby, $3 (50% off)
candlestick holder @ Hobby Lobby , $2 (90% off); candle @ Hobby Lobby, $3 (50% off)

The following items were purchased @ "Real Deals"...

clock , $10. 49 (30% off)

nest, $2.69

white wooden platter, $4.99
three ceramic spheres, $3.49 each
two formerly purchase "wooden" spheres, $0
keys, $7.49

Total cost of landing redo approximately $50. Yay!

Below is a shot of the entire entryway.Because the landing was decorated with tone on tone neutrals, I moved some cream colored items from my buffet cabinet in my dining room to my curio in the entryway. The mostly white objects in the curio now reflect the landing above. No cost added there! Yay again!

Love the soft, cream colors in this redo. It makes for a calm, relaxing, welcoming feel which is exactly what I was hoping for!


Linking to:
Met Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping it Simple
DIY Project Parade @ The DIY Show Off
Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative
Craftaholics Anonymous Support Group @ Craftaholics Anonymous