Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Birds on a Wire Pillow

Yesterday I mentioned that I had the desire to add a little spring flavor to our family room, so I made this pillow to express my happiness at the birds beginning to appear in my garden -- one of the first signs of spring in Colorado. Last night I designed another pillow, and I finished it off this morning. This one will reside in our family room as well. It has the same bird theme, but is different in size, shape and images. This pillow seemed jinxed from the start. Everything seemed to go wrong. I cut the fabrics the wrong size three times, so I ended up having to change the size and shape of the pillow. It ended up working out just fine, but some projects take a lot more time, energy and patience than others. Kind of like people.

Again, I started by finding an image on the web that I could use as a stencil. I copied the image into a Word document and printed it off on regular printer/copy paper.

Then I cut out the shapes and taped the paper onto my fabric.

I used a sponge and some craft paint to stencil the images of the birds onto the pillow...

Then I created the "wire" by stenciling a thin line between two sheets of paper...

This pillow is square in shape as opposed the the rectangular one I made yesterday. I used similar gathers in the muslin though, which kept continuity between the two pillows. They reside on opposite sides of the room. I love how the morning sunlight reflected off this pillow as I was taking photos this morning...

I'm afraid the only things spring-like around our house are these pillows. We have an inch of snow on the ground after a spring snowstorm last night. The sun is out though, and warmer temps are forecast for later this week!

Have a wonderful day!

Check out these fabulous Linky Parties. Linked to:
Visit thecsiproject.com
Trash to Treasure Tuesday @ Reinvented
Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
Be Inspired @ Room to Inspire
Strut Your Stuff Thursday @ Somewhat Simple
I Made it Without my Husband @ Shanty2Chic

40 comments:

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

Another gorgeous pillow!!! Thanks for sharing!

Cottage Dreamers said...

I'm in love with that pillow! It's beautiful!
☺ Celeste

Carol said...

I love your pillows!
I'm working on pillows for my living room, and I need to make quiet a few. I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to be copying you. Yours are soooo cute! You did such a fantastic job! Stop by and visit me sometime!
http://songberries.blogspot.com

Becolorful said...

This is stunning. I do a pillow of the week feature on my blog but I tell people where they can buy them. Do you ever do pillows on your etsy site?
Pamela

Quilt Hollow said...

This one is even better than the first one!

{All Thingz Related} said...

GOODNESS this pillow is SUPER cute! I might have to have one of these for my bed!
~Bridgette

Jillian said...

Love this pillow! It's super cute!

Jenni R. said...

Love it!!! Thanks for sharing!

Shannon said...

I really like this one too. The ruffles just add to it. The birds turned out so good. Love it!

Jan said...

SO beautiful. You are loaded (overflowing!) with talent -- this is lovely!

Tina said...

I LOVE it Suzanne! I am so inspired every time I visit your blog, you are amazing!! I think this pillow is my favourite. Enjoy! Wishing you a lovely day as always my friend ~ Tina x

Room to Inspire said...

Again, ADORABLE pillow! Thanks for linking this up to Be Inspired as well!

Chelsea

Mary Beth @ Live. Laugh. Make Something said...

ooooooooooo. Did you say that this one is for me?! It's precious!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...

I. LOVE. THIS!!!! oh i want it!! are you selling them? let me know! i would love to get one! Saw it at Somewhat Simple!

Chris said...

What a lovely design. I like the simplicity of the stencil with the contrasting ruffles. Thank you for a fun idea!

a little bit of everything said...

Fabulous job! Thanks for commenting on my blog. Your stencil work is wonderful!

Nita {ModVintageLife} said...

What a darling pillow. I love it! That stencil worked perfect.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

What a gorgeous pillow. Love the little birds on a wire!

Goings on at the Glenn's said...

what a beautiful pillow! I want one! I love the ruffled sides. So Perfect so pretty!

Lissa Jane said...

very very cute! so simple but so effective, might have to drag out the gocco and get printing!


Lissa
Australia

Nicole B said...

Beautiful!! I'm a new follower now.

Debilou~Mississippi Mama said...

I love this pillow.

Debbie in Nashville said...

What a great idea. I love it!

Carolynn said...

So cute. You make these projects look so easy! You really should teach classes. Or do you?

MiaKatia said...

The birds are fantastic! I love them.

Infarrantly Creative said...

I love it. It is simply stunning!

Jean said...

You know how I love bird theme items! Love both pillows. Adorable! Jean

Mary said...

These are so sweet. Hope you don't mind if I try to copy.

Great job and I love everything you have done.


Thanks,

Mary

Julie said...

Seriously...this is the most beautiful pillow I have ever seen!!!

Sandra said...

That is so cool. I can't believe you didn't have any bleed through using regular printer paper. Now I know. It turned out really cute.

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

I absolutely ADORE that pillow!!! WAy too cute. I'm going to bookmark this idea. :)
Blessings!

Sabrina said...

This is super cute! I love the ruffled edges and the birds are adorable. Great job!

Granni P said...

Just hopped by and saw your adorable pillows. Funny, I am living in the desert and they don't say spring to me, they say Fall, Halloween. Makes me want to make one to go with all my blackbirds I put out that time of year. super cute idea and what a lovely pillow design.

Denise said...

This pillow immediately caught my eye ... so cute and totally unique. Do you mind me asking what type of paint you are using for stenciling? Thanks so much!

Andi @ Jane of all crafts said...

Stopping by from CSI project. I have a thing for birds when it comes to decorating so this immediately caught my eye. Love it! The gathering is so beautiful.

ourhumbleabowed said...

I love the little birds! So cute! Stopping by from CSI...

Laurie Downey said...

Wow...VERY cute pillow. Love the bird graphics

Cassi said...

I love this! Great job.

Mary said...

I tried to make one of these...it's not as lovely as yours, but if I make another one, I will definitely pay more attention to your tutorial.


Again thanks for the inspiration and have great weekend!

Brooke Kenny said...

I am now following your blog! I love your stuff!
babblingsandmore.blogspot.com
~Brooke