Friday, April 09, 2010

Bedroom #2 Redo-Redo...

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. It's something that I have had plenty of experience with over the years. When you're as old as I am stuff like having to be right all the time takes a back seat to weightier, more important matters. That's one of the benefits of getting older becoming more mature.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about my Bedroom Redo #2. In that post, I mentioned that I was a unsettled with the blue colored paint that I had chosen for the bottom portion of the walls. (See photo above.) It just wasn't right. It made the room look too blue and the shade was off. Anyway, I lived with it for about a week hoping I might change my mind, but every time I walked into the room the blue on the walls bothered me. I knew I needed to change it.

A couple of days ago I bought more paint and started the Redo-Redo. I decided to paint the bottom portion of the walls the same color as the top portion. It's a very light cream color. I didn't want the walls to be anything but a backdrop for the furniture and furnishings.


I'm so much happier with the "new" walls. (Once again you'll have to excuse my crummy photos. They are neither clear nor an accurate replication of color! Ugh!) When I replaced the blue paint with the cream the other colors in the room became much more vivid and attractive. So much better...

There was just one more thing that was bothering me -- the bedskirt (look below)...

It was an inexpensive bedskirt that I had used previously and it was fine for a number of years, but when I compared it to the muslin I had used in the shams and pillows, it looked washed-out and flimsy, so I decided to transform that bedskirt into a more lush muslin version. First I cut off the old skirt because I wanted to use the "body" of the former bedskirt for the new one.

This is where it got complicated. I wanted a very full, lush gather for the bedskirt, so when all was said and done the length of muslin bedskirt (before gathering) was 18 yards long. You read that right -- 18 yards!!! It's really difficult to work with a piece of fabric that is 16 1/2 inches by 18 yards, but I muddled through, and I am completely satisfied with the results...

I love how the new bedskirt matches the shams and the pillows. It gives the bedding a more "finished" feel.

By the way, the bedskirt cost about $20 to make. The fabric -- 9 yards of muslin -- was 25% off its usual price of $2.99/yard. I cut two pieces out of the nine yards (16.5 inches x 9 yards) and then sewed those two pieces together to make the 16.5 inches x 18 yards.

23 comments:

Janet said...

Your room is beautiful. When are you coming over to decorate my house?

Tudy said...

It was worth the extra work. It is beautiful.

Julie said...

Can you tell me where you got the blue coverlet and shams?

Quilt Hollow said...

I say well worth the extra effor to get it just the way you wanted it! It is beautiful.

Tina said...

I loved your room before and I love it now Suzanne:) Your bedskirt is gorgeous!! Wow that is a lot of fabric, yay to you!! It looks amazing. Wishing you a wonderful weekend ~ Tina x

Suzanne said...

The blue coverlet and shams came from Marshall's. Check out this blog post where I write about them...

http://justanotherhangup.blogspot.com/2010/02/pillow-ii.html

Carolynn said...

Very nice job!

Debbie~ said...

Beautiful makeover, I looove it, I especially like how when you weren't happy with the outcome, you just jumped in again and tried something different!!! How wonderful! Debbie @ Cottage Hann~Me~Downs

kjquilts said...

Love the fuller dust ruffle!

The Pennington Point said...

Great money saver and it looks so cute! Lisa~

Becky said...

Love the redo redo! You are one smart,talented lady!

Julie said...

Thank you, Suzanne!

MiaKatia said...

The bed skirt is fantastic. Love all those ruffles!

Frugal Home Designs said...

I thought it was beautiful before, but you were right. It looks so much more polished and the furnishings are standing out. Great job. I have a lot of redo-redo's around here :)

Tolentreasures said...

I do like it better with the cream on the bottom, but it looked nice before also. Love the bedskirt, what a job that must have been.

Cathy

Anna said...

Suzanne..fantastic..I love the end results. As I was reading your post I was thinking..Hmmm..nop its needs to be one solid colour..and you hit the nail on the head...looks fabulous x

Sherri @ Design2Shine said...

Love the wall painted now and the bedskirt is PERFECT! It does give it a more finished elegant feel to the room. The pillows are AAAdorable.

Bunny said...

Your room is amazing. For sure it was worth redoing the redo. Your bedskirt looks fantastic always nicer with fuller ruffles. Enjoy all your hard works.

Mary-ham said...

You fixed it! And I love the skirt.

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

The wall color looks great and you did a great job on the bed skirt! What a task!
thanks for visiting and commenting on my table and lilacs! A month still for yours? whoa!
hope your weekend is going well.
gail

Leanne said...

Wow, that room looks amazing. I love the walls and the bedskirt is gorgeous. Your pillows are the cutest ones ever and I love pillows. If you'd like to come by on Wednesday, I'm having an organizing party.

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Looks fabulous! The colours look very relaxing and peaceful - well worth the extra effort to repaint. Love how you made the bedskirt - economical too!

the vintage wren said...

I love your bedskirt, and all of your pillows are gorgeous. I really need to break out my sewing machine and start practicing.