Friday, April 09, 2010

Bedroom #2 Redo-Redo...

I'm not afraid to admit when I'm wrong. It's something that I have had plenty of experience with over the years. When you're as old as I am stuff like having to be right all the time takes a back seat to weightier, more important matters. That's one of the benefits of getting older becoming more mature.

A couple of weeks ago I posted about my Bedroom Redo #2. In that post, I mentioned that I was a unsettled with the blue colored paint that I had chosen for the bottom portion of the walls. (See photo above.) It just wasn't right. It made the room look too blue and the shade was off. Anyway, I lived with it for about a week hoping I might change my mind, but every time I walked into the room the blue on the walls bothered me. I knew I needed to change it.

A couple of days ago I bought more paint and started the Redo-Redo. I decided to paint the bottom portion of the walls the same color as the top portion. It's a very light cream color. I didn't want the walls to be anything but a backdrop for the furniture and furnishings.


I'm so much happier with the "new" walls. (Once again you'll have to excuse my crummy photos. They are neither clear nor an accurate replication of color! Ugh!) When I replaced the blue paint with the cream the other colors in the room became much more vivid and attractive. So much better...

There was just one more thing that was bothering me -- the bedskirt (look below)...

It was an inexpensive bedskirt that I had used previously and it was fine for a number of years, but when I compared it to the muslin I had used in the shams and pillows, it looked washed-out and flimsy, so I decided to transform that bedskirt into a more lush muslin version. First I cut off the old skirt because I wanted to use the "body" of the former bedskirt for the new one.

This is where it got complicated. I wanted a very full, lush gather for the bedskirt, so when all was said and done the length of muslin bedskirt (before gathering) was 18 yards long. You read that right -- 18 yards!!! It's really difficult to work with a piece of fabric that is 16 1/2 inches by 18 yards, but I muddled through, and I am completely satisfied with the results...

I love how the new bedskirt matches the shams and the pillows. It gives the bedding a more "finished" feel.

By the way, the bedskirt cost about $20 to make. The fabric -- 9 yards of muslin -- was 25% off its usual price of $2.99/yard. I cut two pieces out of the nine yards (16.5 inches x 9 yards) and then sewed those two pieces together to make the 16.5 inches x 18 yards.