Monday, April 12, 2010

Tattered Muslin Rosettes...

I have to admit I love the flower craze that is going on right now. Fabric flowers are adorable on headbands, pillows, totes and clothing. I would hot glue one right in the middle of my forehead if I thought I could get away with it. They make everything look better!

Today I decided to make another version of these beautiful fabric flowers. This time I decided to use muslin, because I'm going to be adding them to a muslin pillow I'm dreaming up. I've seen several tutorials on how to make these rolled flowers, but the one I used is found here at "Everyday Chaos." (Thank you, Bridget, for an awesome tutorial.)

Here's the process...

You'll need:
1 to 2 inch wide by 44" long piece of fabric
hot glue gun
scissors

Fold your strip of fabric in half lengthwise and tie a knot in the end...

Keep the fabric folded in half and roll it around the knot several time to make the center of your rose. Apply a dot of hot glue to your fabric when the "center" is to your liking...

Then you can start giving the fabric a twist to make the "petals." Try to rotate the twists as you go around the rose so they are not always in the same spots and the "petals" are off centered. I added a dot of glue to the outside edge each time I made a twist...

When you reach the end of your fabric, simply bring the end to the underside of the flower and glue...

I made three of these in no time at all. So easy and no sewing involved! I can't wait to attach them to a pillow! By the way these flowers cost from 8 cents (for the 1" strip) to 16 cents each (for the 2" strip). That is if you bought your muslin for $2.99 -- like I did. Not bad at all.

I hope things are beginning to bloom
at your house too!


Update: Go here to check out the pillow I made.

Linking to:
Tattered Muslin Rosettes @ Craftaholic
Friday Fun Finds @ kojo designs
Our Favorite Thingz @ All Thingz Related
Toot Your Horn Tuesday @ A Silly Little Sparrow
Trash to Treasure Tuesday @ Reinvented
DIY Day @ A Soft Place to Land