Friday, April 16, 2010

Finding the perfect foundation...

Let's hear a loud and raucous "whoot-whoot" for 90% off sales. Ninety percent off is what you will find some selected home accents for at Hobby Lobby this week. Mind you, they are slightly picked over. Mmmm-kay, they are mostly bottom of the barrel ugly, but with a little imagination they can be changed to body beautiful. At least that's what I was hoping when I bought a candleholder yesterday.

As you will remember from previous posts, I'm in the process of redecorating a ledge-type landing in my entryway. I finished three pillows earlier this week that will take up residence there, but I needed a few more objects to place around them. Ergo, a stop at the 90% off sale. I also went to Real Deals and bought the cutest little chunky black candleholder that I loved.

The 90% off item (that only a mother could love) is the item on the left in the photo below. Yikes. Fancy schmancy. It's kind of over-the-top for my taste, but I hoped with a new application of makeup she would take on new life. By the way, she was $2 on sale. I considered that a little high considering her appearance, but I could see potential, so I dropped the cash. Quick like. ;o) The beautiful, chunky candleholder that I purchased for $6 at Real Deals is on the right in the photo below...

The shabby chic look I am trying to capture calls for a lot of tone on tone creams and whites, so the black needed to go and white needed to replace it. I started by doing a little sanding, and then I grabbed some Rust-Oleum American Accents Heirloom White spray paint and went to work. They became white as the driven snow. Pasty white. Too white. Like my winter-white legs. Hmmmm...

They needed a little bronzer, as do my legs. In the past I've used a glaze that I've tinted brown or smoky gray to add a little character and "history" to a painted white object, but this time I just bought some craft paint (color: Raw Umber) and thinned it with water to make a runny mess. It makes a "poor man's glaze" that works perfectly. I applied the glaze to the areas that I wanted to accent and then rubbed some of it off with a soft cloth. Reapply if more is needed.

I've found it best to cover small areas at a time with the "glaze" when adding this detail. Otherwise, it's difficult to rub the paint off before it dries. After I completed the glazing, I sanded a few of the edges to reveal some of the black paint underneath. It's amazing what the right color foundation and blush will do for a girl. It brings out all her best features...

Mama Mia, they're cute!

Monday I'll post the finished landing redo.
Until then.. have a great weekend!

Linking to:
Show Off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
Creative Cats @ Poppies at Play
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Remodelaholic's Anonymous @ Remodelaholic