Tuesday, April 27, 2010

California Dreamin'

I feel it my official responsibility to warn you before you read any further. This post is sure to be hazardous to any who currently find themselves watching their weight. Just say "No" and back out of this blog -- quick like. I don't want to be responsible for a horde of ladies kicking their diet pills and rice cakes out the window and high tailing it to Carmel. Although, no one would blame you if you did. Nope, not one little bit...

I tried to warn you.

We just returned from visiting family in California. A couple of months ago I mentioned that one of our favorite haunts when we go to California is Cassanova Restaurant in Carmel. You'll find it tucked between Mission and San Carlos on 5th Street in Carmel. Cassanova has become a family favorite over the years. There's good reason for that. In my opinion everything about it is fabulous.

Old world charm greets you when you arrive, but as wonderful as the surroundings are the thing that keeps you coming back time and time again is the food. The cuisine is heavily influenced by the flavors of France and Italy and hosts a variety of rustic regional delicacies. Here's a sampling of what we experienced this time.

Spaghettini "Mimmo di Capri"
Pasta with sauteed beef fillet tips with fresh tomato sauce

Shrimp Scampi Linguini
Linguini with shrimp simmered in a light cream sauce

Goat Cheese & Salami Sandwich

As for dessert...

Profiteroles
Cream puffs filled with vanilla ice cream
with warm chocolate sauce and roasted almond toffee


Dolce di Cioccolata
Molten chocolate cake with ice cream


Tartes Grand-mère
Lemon tart

These three were fooling around at the end of our table on the patio. They kept us entertained.

After lunch we strolled the streets of Carmel and made a couple of delightful purchases...

Then we drove down Ocean Avenue, sat on the beach, and took a few photos. Did I mention it was warm and clear that day? Well, it was. Unbelievably so.

Thanks for putting up with my travel log. I'll be back to projects later this week, and tomorrow morning I'll post the winner of the Give Away! Have a relaxing night.


18 comments:

Renee said...

Oh my goodness gracious! I can't decide what meal I'd try first, they all look so good. Maybe the scampi.... mmmmmmmm.

Lisalulu said...

I used to live in Monterey, daughter#2 was born there. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Janet said...

California dreamin.....

Puddle of Grace said...

Hey! I was born in Carmel and grew up in Pacific Grove! Thanks so much for posting pictures of home! (and for reminding me of the flavors there!)

Nancy said...

Aaaaahhhhhhh!

Becky said...

The lemon tart gets my vote for dessert! Decisions, decisions about the others! Very yummy looking!

Jillian said...

I should have listened to your warning! There goes my diet! :)

Lissa Jane said...

gosh I am bad, I thought I read CARAMEL! not CARMEL.. doh! your tasties are safe with me, lactose intolerant vegetarian here! but that pasta (less the scampi) looks sooooo yummo..



Lissa

Tina said...

Suzanne, that Shrimp Scampi Linguine looks divine!!!!! I need to find a recipe is all I can say! I loved this post because I have been to Carmel back in 1995 during my honeymoon and loved it!! thank you for sharing this gorgeous little restaurant, I will have to make a return trip across the ocean just to eat there:) Hope you are having a wonderful week ~ Tina xx

Chris said...

I do remember your previous post about the Cassanova Restaurant, my mouth watered then too! :) Now I want to go there just to eat dinner! Sounds like a wonderful place. Welcome back. :)

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

The entrees and dessert look wonderful. I liked the statue of the three children too; delightful!

Nedra said...

I love Carmel. I was raised in the Bay Area so when I go home to visit family, we often try and take a day in Carmel. Have you ever been to "Findings" a very cute quilt/ trim/ one of a kind shop? Thanks for the restaurant lead. We will have to check that out sometime.

Donna said...

Your trip to Carmel looks wonderful, especially your dinner at Cassanova! I was lucky enough to eat there with my Mom and Aunt & Uncle about 20 years ago. My Mom & I still talk about the great lunch we had there! Now I want to go back! Thanks for sharing!

Anne Fannie said...

Hmmm...that food looks divine! Its so pretty up in Northern California! My husband and I like to get away sometimes and drive up there.
~Ann

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your Carmel photos bring back some great memories Suzanne!

Judy said...

So, I'm watching my weight (go up), but I enjoyed the photos thoroughly! Yum!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

We love Carmel. One of our favorite restaurants there is L'Escargot. Next time we go we'll have to try your restaurant.

MiaKatia said...

Next trip I think I might just tag along ;)