Monday, April 19, 2010

Outdoor Lighting Ideas...

Yesterday I was visiting the blog, "Finding Fabulous," when I came upon this post about innovative outdoor lighting. Jane creatively revamped some thrifty finds to resemble the Pottery Barn Mason Jar votive holders below.

Pottery Barn has a way of making even canning jars look chic and sophisticated. Amazing. And luscious. This post reminded me of some of the candlelight lighting we used at our daughter's wedding reception last August. Five of our children have married in the last seven years. Four of those wedding receptions were held in our backyard. Several weddings back I made the votive holders you see below out of inexpensive glass vases. I hung them from hooks I bought for that purpose at several of our children's weddings since then...

About a year before the wedding last August when the idea of a wedding wasn't even on the radar screen, I came upon the mini-lanterns below at our local grocery store. It was the end of the summer, and they were selling all their seasonal items at a fraction of the original cost. I bought bunches of these little lanterns for $1 each because I knew someday another wedding would be scheduled, and I could just imagine them hanging from the tree off our patio for just such an occasion. We used them a year later at our daughter's reception. We hung them from very thin wire from the tree branches. As the evening grew darker the wire seemed to disappear, and the lanterns were beautiful as they magically hung below the tree.

One last idea. We have a birdbath underneath the tree where we hung the little lanterns. I asked our amazing florist Sarah, from Painted Primrose, to build a wreath to put in the birdbath. We placed a candle inside the wreath for an additional light source for the garden area. Breathtakingly beautiful!

I hope you enjoyed these outdoor lighting ideas!
Here's to warm summer nights
with family & friends!


Linked to:
Get Your Craft on Thursday @ Life as Lori
Get Your Craft On Tuesday @ Today's Creative Blog
Toot Your Horn Tuesday @ A Silly Little Sparrow
Bloomin' Tuesday @ Ms. Green Thumb Jean's
Anything Related @ All Thingz Related
Trash to Treasure Tuesday @ Reinvented

30 comments:

Katie said...

Gorgeous ideas!!!

{All Thingz Related} said...

BEAUTIFUL! I think I might have to make some of these SOON! Thanks for linking up to Anything Related!!!
~Bridgette

MiaKatia said...

Those votives hanging from the tree were magical. They really did look like they were hanging by magic. Such a beautiful look for an evening reception.

Tammy@InStitches said...

Those lanterns are really cute. It's nice that you have such a great backyard.

Nancy said...

Very neat ideas!

Nancy

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What lovely ideas. Your weddings must have been the prettiest of the season!

Julie said...

I would love for you to share more ideas and/or pictures from your outdoor wedding receptions. We have one coming up this August in OUR backyard. Obviously, you have lots of experience with this! :)

Suzanne said...

Here are more of my "wedding idea" posts:

http://justanotherhangup.blogspot.com/search/label/wedding%20plans

- Suzanne

rosie/the fabric shopper said...

Wonderful ideas! I love to make our porch look festive even when it just the two of us. I'll be grabbing some of these looks for sure!

Deb said...

Those are some great ideas, and the birdbath is lovely!

Anna said...

Oh how lovely..super cute ideas Suzanne..thanks so much for sharing x

Renee said...

I heard that was one beautiful wedding! I love the idea of hanging votives.

OK Suzanne, I need your honest opinion... I'm trying to figure out a lighting solution for my pergola out back and I saw some solar lights at Target. Hmmm. What do you know/think about outdoor solar lights? I've heard both bad and good, but I trust you.

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

simply gorgeous!!! love that idea!

The Pleasures of Homemaking said...

I've always loved the look of hanging votives! Just beautiful! Love the birdbath too!

Manuela

Heidi said...

Very nice! I love the way candle light glows outdoors, especially love the lanterns hanging from the tree. It must have been lovely! I'd love it if you'd drop by for a visit sometime.
XO
Heidi - Heart and Home

MeenyMoe said...

Love the wreath in the birdbath. I saw that on Martha Stewart last fall with a pumpkin sitting in the wreath instead of a candle like you did here. Very pretty!

Darla said...

Way cool!

perennialgardener said...

I love the repurposing of things for the garden. :)

Bobbie said...

I love it! I have a link party on saturdays that I would love for you to join
www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

Jean said...

Great lighting ideas! We love it when you get creative. Jean

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

What a wonderful idea for outdoor lighting for a special occasion!

Tina said...

Oh I love your hanging lanterns and the candle in the wreath was divine Suzanne. What a beautiful and special atmosphere you created in your garden for such wonderful and happy occasions. Your children are all very lucky indeed!! Hope you have a wonderful day ~ Tina xx

Paula said...

What a fun post and great ideas! Makes me want to go and put candles inmy yard!I will keep my eyes out for some min lanterns - they are perfect! I will be linking up tomorrow as our computer is getting fixed today Thanks for sharing! Paula in Idaho

Alea said...

Great ideas! I am always looking for ways to add more light to our backyard for evening parties.

Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

I am totally obsessed with those PB candle holders too! Love yours! They look great!

shannon said...

Love the outdoor lighting, and I have been a fan of the PB ones forever! Stop by my Bring in the Spring party this week if you get a chance.

Jenn @ Delicious Ambiguity said...

Inspiring ideas. Make me want to do something great on my backyard. Just came across your blog and love it. Thanks for stopping by mine. Have a great day!

Lori said...

I'm sitting outside right now! i love this.

Thanks for joining Get your Craft on Thursday. Please join me again for another great party.

muralimanohar said...

Gorgeous! I have three glass candleholders sitting wrapped in paper on a shelf while I figure out how to turn them into hanging candleholders...they would be perfect done up like that! Having the hooks would be even cooler, lol!

inday_adin said...

It's beautiful, indeed! I love it! :) Thanks for sharing.