Monday, June 23, 2014

Chevron & Floral Two-Toned Tote...


Last week I gave a sneak peek of a tote that I was making. I loved the way the more contemporary chevron fabric played off the traditional floral fabric on this tote...


I followed a "Two-Tone Fabric Tote" tutorial found on the blog "Make It & Love It" to make this bag. I originally made this tote about a year ago, and at that time made a few changes in the pattern, so you might want to go here for my version of the bag and a few tips on how to sew a sturdy, well-crafted tote.

After making the bag, I was going to make a fabric flower to put on it, but them I remembered some ready-made fabric flowers that I'd bought at Hobby Lobby for another project. I thought they would work well on this tote, so I hurried off to Hobby Lobby and snatched up a package!


I love how the linen flowers pick up the same color as the more tan burlap ribbon on the tote. Often I get stuck in the rut of "matchy-matchy". My first impulse was to make a yellow flower with a gray center, but I find when I go outside the box a bit, I like the results even more. 


The turquoise and bling centers of those flowers add a little punch of color to the bag that is unexpected and striking.


This tote is going to find its way to someone I love later this week.


I find great pleasure in treating my loved ones to unexpected surprises!


The fabrics used to make this tote are found at Hobby Lobby, as are the burlap ribbon (found in the fabric department) and the accent flowers (found in the scrapbooking department).