Thursday, June 05, 2014

Restoring a Finish on Furniture...


Earlier this week I posted about an antique dresser that we had bought that I'd decided to refurbish rather than refinish by painting. After cleaning it with a distilled water and Dawn dish soap solution, I decided it needed a little more than a final waxing to get it back to its most beautiful self. I looked around and decided on Howard's "Restor-A-Finish" {found at Home Depot} for the job. There are other similar products on the market, but this behaved well for me.


To use, choose a color of Restor-A-Finish that is the best match for the finish of your wood. Then apply with a soft cloth covering a small area at a time and wipe dry. In the photo below you can see the difference between the wood that had been cleaned and the wood where the Restor-A-Finish has been applied...


It restores color to faded wood finishes, blends out scratches and blemishes, and can remove white heat rings or water rings. In the photo below you can see a small scratch that was on the top of the dresser...


After applying the wood restorer and buffing it dry, there's no evidence of the scratch...


Tomorrow I'll apply a coat of Howard Feed-n-Wax to protect and maintain the newly restored finish, but I'm so happy with how it is getting restored to its lovely self!