Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"Ribbon" Photo Holder...


The other day my sister called with a suggestion. My mother, who recently moved into a smaller place, needed a bulletin board or grouping of frames where she could tack photos of grandchildren and great grands and interchange them as she received updated photos. My first thought was to make a small grouping of bulletin board frames a little like the "Smith Fine Art Gallery" that we have in our own home. My mother wanted something smaller, however, so I was told to look for something about 16"x16". I went to Hobby Lobby hoping to find a nice frame on their 80% off rack that I could paint and convert to a bulletin board. No such luck, so I started looking elsewhere in the store. This is what I came upon...


I loved the look of this burlap covered photo holder, but I immediately noticed that four of the five decorative buttons were missing. I asked a sales clerk how much she could discount the item in that condition and was told: 50%. Score.


Then I went looking for some buttons or decoration to put in place of the missing buttons and found these flowers in the scrapbook section of the store. Love them and, more importantly, I thought I thought my mom would like them too.


Those sweet flowers against the burlap really feminized the photo holder...


I love this burlap photo holder, because the neutral color of the burlap will let the photos shine. I bought this because I couldn't have made if for $8, but it would be so easy to make: foam board, burlap, flowers and twine -- done! It's a little larger than my mother requested, but the 16"x20" bulletin board should still fit in the space available. The total cost of this delightful piece was $17!