Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Thrifting, Repurposing, and Refinishing...


When I was a teenager, if anyone would have told me I would be excited about a trip to Goodwill, I would have asked to be committed right then and there. Things change. A couple of months ago a Goodwill store opened in our town. To say I was thrilled was an understatement. You see, I'd had experience with Goodwill before. That's where I bought this vixen for $14.99...



Of course, that picture is after I refinished her. She looked like this when I bought her, but I tried not to blame her {too much} for going far too long without a good facial...


Anyway, I used to have to travel to a neighboring town to see what Goodwill had to offer, but now there's one right across town. Yesterday I braved the smoke-filled air to see if the store had any bargains. I've been looking to add to our toy supply {for the grands} for awhile. I found just what I was looking for in this little rocking horse...



Did you see how much it cost???  
$5.99

I've wanted a wooden doll cradle that I could spruce up for a long time now. I've been biding my time waiting for just the right one, and yesterday I found her...


I love the curved detail on the head of the crib -- so cute...



That's right -- it was only $3.99. A steal. That's why I love Goodwill. Plus I got a 15% discount {-$1.50} because I've reached the ripe old age of 55. How amazing is that? Grand total at the checkout counter: $9.17! Score. I can't wait to refinish these items to make them "ours." I also have plans on sewing some sweet baby-doll bedding for the cradle. I'm one happy grandma!