Friday, October 09, 2009

odds 'n ends...

I've been a knitting fool lately. It's one of the few things I've been able to do, so I've done it. A lot. A few weeks ago I came upon this site, Free Knitting Scarf Patterns. I love free things. I love the internet. I love free things on the internet, so I tried a pattern and really liked it. Mostly because it's easy-peasy, but also because I think the pattern works up well. Here's one of the scarves I've been working on...

I've also been feeling a bit "domestic" of late. I think it's the cool fall weather -- makes me want to fire up the oven. I've been craving sour dough bread, so today I made a sour dough starter. The only negative thing about making a sour dough starter is the strong smell that the multiplying yeast gives off. By this afternoon my kitchen will smell like a brewery. It's not a good thing for a little Mormon gal's kitchen to smell like a brewery. It's sure to raise some eyebrows. Within a few days, however, I'll be able to pop the sour dough starter into the fridge and my kitchen will take on its usual fragrance. I'm excited to have the aroma of sour dough baked goods drifting through my home as I bake some delicacies in my oven! Here's a look at that starter. It looks kind of scary and halloweenish if you ask me... waaa--aa-aaaa. This will be a great example of something good, coming from something bad. I'll snap some photos in the next few weeks of some of the items I bake with this awful looking stuff...