Saturday, March 17, 2012

Margerita Pizza with Chopped Pear Salad...


My husband and I have been feasting upon Margerita Pizzas of late. We've had some in several different restaurants that were fabulous, so I decided to try my hand at making one at home. How hard could it be -- a few tomatoes, some basil, mozzerella and you're done! Here's my version that takes about 15 minutes to make from start to finish...

Easy Margerita Pizza
Place 1 tube Pillsbury Refrigerated Classic Pizza Crust onto a 14 inch pizza pan or cookie sheet. Prebake the pizza crust for 4-5 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Remove from oven. Drizzle a little olive oil on top of the crust, add a very thin layer of pesto sauce, some fresh snipped basil and a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese...


Next, layer fresh mozzarella slices and arrange thinly sliced and deseeded tomatoes (I used plum tomatoes) around the crust on top of the cheese. Add a little more snipped basil and a dab of olive oil if you'd like.


Bake about 5-10 minutes in the already warm 400 degree oven until the cheese is melted. Check pizza often while baking to avoid burning the crust. Remove from oven and let sit a couple of minutes to cool before slicing. This pizza takes so little effort that you'll feel like you're cheating when you bite into its deliciousness!


Now for the fabulous salad -- my favorite part. I will give you the recipe for a larger group, but for my husband and me I use the ingredients below and just put in smaller amounts of the items to make enough for the two of us.

Chopped Pear Salad
3-4 cups chopped bibb or romaine lettuce
3-4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
2-3 medium pears, chopped (can use canned when not in season)
1 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
1 cup sugar and spiced pecans (recipe below)
8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (optional, but yummy)
6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
Poppy Seed salad dressing
Balsamic Vinaigrette (I like "Newman's Own Light")

You may arrange this salad on a platter by layering the ingredients and then drizzling salad dressing over the top, or put it in a bowl and toss. I use about 75% poppy seed and 25% vinaigrette dressing. Experiment with the dressings to discover your preference. I love the combination of flavors in this salad!

Sugar and Spiced Pecans
Add about 1/4 cup sugar, a pinch of dried red pepper and 2 Tbsp. water to saucepan over medium heat. Stir in about 1 - 1 1/2 cups pecans and stir until the sugar is somewhat dissolved and the pecans are coated well. (To add more pecans just add a little more sugar and water.) You need to be attentive because the sugar can burn easily. Transfer to a cookie sheet to cool. When cool break up into individual pieces. 


I made this pizza and salad the other night for dinner. While the pizza was baking I threw together the salad. From start to finish this meal took 20 minutes to make. Seriously good for just a little effort!

11 comments:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Thanks Suzanne! These both look wonderful!

annemarie said...

That pizza sounds divine!

Cindy said...

What time is dinner? I'll catch the next flight!

Jillian said...

That looks amazing! I now know what to put in my shopping list this week!!

Barbara said...

How many pecans in the spiced pecans recipe? No amount was given.

Lisa M said...

Thank you for a quick and easy to make meal that my children will enjoy. A definite plus for week days when time is short and the family is hungry.

Suzanne said...

Barbara -- Give or take 1 - 2 cups. I usually put in the whole package of nuts that I buy. I use this same recipe for walnuts and almonds. You just need to make sure all the nuts are coated with a little sugar.

Renee said...

Wow, does that look good! This is definitely on my recipe list this week. Thanks for sharing!

Mia said...

Oh I'm so hungry right this minute!

Chris said...

YUMMMM!! We just had a Margerita Pizza at Carrabbas on our trip. Definiitely going to make this! The pear salad looks and sounds delicious, thanks for the recipe!

Shelley C said...

Made your pear salad this week and it was wonderful. I will now have to try the pizza.