Wednesday, March 28, 2012

More Patio Cushions...

Earlier this week I demonstrated how to take a lackluster, worn patio chair pad and recover it to make a beautiful new pad! Here's another example with a larger chair cushion. I started with this sad looking cushion below. It's difficult to see in this picture how worn it is, but believe me it needed to be replaced.


I handled this refurbish like I did the former pad. I took apart the seams and deconstructed the old cushion to make a pattern piece to use for the new cushion...


Then I laid this "pattern" onto my new fabric and cut two pieces (front and back) per cushion. I marked on the new fabric where the ties should be placed. I placed front and back pieces right sides together, slipped some ties into the seams and sewed around the cushion leaving an opening in the end where I would slip the padding of the old cushion into the new cover. Then I zig-zagged the seams for reinforcement, turned it right side out, filled the cushion cover with padding from the former cushion, and slip-stitched the opening shut. Here's the end result...


This orange and cream birdie fabric came from Hancock Fabric. It's called "Volary" by Thomas Paul for Suburban Home. When I saw this fabric I decided to recover my existing cushions rather than spend much more buying new ones. I instantly fell in love with those birdies and blossoms!

 
This fabric coordinates with the other fabrics {from the same line} that I'm using for the other two patio sets I'm refurbishing...

Fabrics - clockwise starting left:
Bird Tree by Thomas Paul for Suburban Home
Volary by Thomas Paul for Suburban Home
Kimono by Thomas Paul for Suburban Home

All that's left to do is to spray paint the turquoise chairs and table set {update: go here for that post} and recover a long cushion that rests on a wicker patio bench {shown in the collage above - left}. I ordered some fabric swatches from Fabric.com to determine the appropriate color for the bench cushion. I'd like to recover it with a solid golden yellow fabric. Although all these fabrics are "outdoor fabrics" and as such are resistant to fading, mold, mildew, etc. -- I will also Scotchgard all of them to prolong the life of the fabric!


I can't believe what a change these fabrics have made in my patio area. They are so vibrant and beautiful! I can't wait to enjoy them as the weather becomes even warmer!


Linked to:
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Show Off Your Stuff @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
Hookin' Up with House of Hepworths
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Creek Cottage
Blog Party @ Somewhat Simple
Party #5 @ Jiffy It
Link Party @ Tea Rose Home
Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts