Monday, April 04, 2016

Ric-Rac Receiving Blankets...


A few years ago I created a tutorial for my Ric-Rac Receiving Blankets. These are large 42" x 42" soft, flannel blankets that accommodate a growing baby. Most receiving blankets that are offered in stores are 30" x 30", which is barely large enough to wrap a newborn. The store-bought kind are also only one layer of fabric and are made from cheap flannel, so they don't hold up to frequent washings. I still use some of the receiving blankets I made for my babies for our grandbabies today, so that gives you an idea of how well these receiving blankets hold up.

Recently I made a couple of these blankets for our granddaughter due in June. One soft soft gray with pink whales...


And another with pink giraffes and chevron...


I bought all of these fabrics at Hancock Fabrics. They have some adorable flannels. Did you hear that Hancock Fabrics is going out of business and closing all their stores? This makes me sad, and I think this proves the online fabric stores are taking a huge toll on brick and mortar businesses. Plus, I think Hancock Fabrics was always two steps behind at keeping up with trends. In any case, they will be having some good sales as they liquidate their stores. I'll be heading there later today to check out their sales.


These receiving blankets take minutes to make and the double thickness makes the blanket so soft and durable...


Find the tutorial for making these blankets here.

Have a wonderful day!