Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Bathroom Renovation Completed...

When I published our bathroom redo reveal, I mentioned that I would be using the cool, calm colors of the beach as my inspiration for finishing touches in the room. The bathroom renovation was finished while we vacationed at a beach house in North Carolina, and when we came back those memories of the fun we had were center-most on my mind, so I wanted colors and decorations to reflect that wonderful trip.

We had a photo shoot of the family while we were in the Outer Banks. Here's a photo toward the end of the shoot of our 12 sweet grandchildren all dressed in those beautiful, calm beachy colors. As you can see playing in the ocean was a strong pull for some of them -- so funny!


With 12 grandchildren nine and under, everything is an adventure with this crew! Our photographer was fabulous. I would like to point out just how adorable little baby Taitum is with her head on her cousin Zoey's shoulder. So sweet.  Sigh...

Where was I? Oh yes...our vacation at the Outer Banks became my inspiration for the few decor items I placed in the newly renovated bathroom.

Shower Curtain:
One highlight of our trip was when we chartered a pontoon boat and went dolphin watching on the sound. With a crew of 26 people (our immediate family), it's easy to charter a boat all to ourselves! We were lucky enough to come upon a large pod of dolphins that swam close to our boat and seemed to enjoy the attention we gave them...


To commemorate that experience I chose this fabulous shower curtain...


I realize the shower curtain sports whales, not dolphins. They're both mammals -- it'll do.

Decor:
I think we collected 200 pounds of shells during our one week stay at Whalehead Beach. We brought home a fraction of what we collected, and I put them in this apothecary jar. I asked my friend Sharon (of Vinyl Wall Expressions) to make a custom vinyl sign to go on the jar...


I tucked two little duck decor items in my suitcase when I was at my mother's home helping her downsize a couple of months ago. She'd had them for years, and I loved their color so I planned to use them in the "new" bathroom. What I didn't know is that they would come to mean even more to me as I decorated with the Outer Banks in mind. One of the best treats in the Outer Banks is a donut shop called "Duck Donuts." I cannot say enough about these delicious made-to-order cake donuts. They come to you fresh and warm and are unbelievably delectable, and they are solely responsible for my four pound weight gain within a six day period. {I'm shocked it wasn't more.} We couldn't shove them in our mouths fast enough...


Whenever I look at these little turquoise ducks of my mom's, I'll have a flashback to Duck Donuts...


I found this cute "Sea Salt" Lido Soap at Anthropologie...


During the photo shoot we found a crab that entertained the kids...


I'm going to frame a print of a crab and put it on one of the walls in the bathroom. I'm considering a print from this Etsy artist.


Towels & Bath Mats: 
Towels the color of the ocean...


Bath Mats from Urban Outfitters remind me little of the seagrass on the beach...


Well there you have it. These are the items that helped finish off this bathroom redo. I'm hoping that as our children and grandchildren come home for a visit, they will be reminded of the fun times we've had together as a family at the Outer Banks.