Sunday, February 24, 2013

Thankful Thoughts...


What inspired me this week?

I flew to California this last week to visit family. Our family has been traveling a rough road lately. My brother, who sustained terrible injuries in a fall 2 1/2 weeks ago, is finally showing some signs of improvement, but I was at a low ebb when I reached out to a friend of mine in the middle of the week. She sent back an encouraging email that soothed me and calmed my anxieties. In it she quoted some scriptures that helped me remember my faith and beliefs. Faith can be a fragile thing when you're in the thick of it. Sometimes fear replaces faith, and you start to despair. Chris reminded me of the beliefs that I hold dear by pointing me toward the scriptures. They inspired me and gave me hope. I'm so grateful for sacred writings and faith-filled friends. 

For those interested, here's the list of the scriptures that Chris sent: 



What surprised me this week?

I have found that when difficult situations surround us they are often balanced by obvious blessings. This heavenly assistance is referred to as a "tender mercy" in the scriptures. The challenge is to recognize this aid and relief for what it is, rather than discard it as a mere coincidence. For me, tender mercies are evidence that the Savior is mindful of me and my family and that He loves us. This week I was surprised by the number of those sweet assurances and blessings. Here are a few examples of the tender mercies that our family experienced this week:
  • I made my plane reservations a couple of months ago to fly to California -- never realizing that my brother would be involved in an accident. I was so grateful to be able to be there to {hopefully} lift and support my family.
  • Several of our family members received the good news of a wonderful summer internship, a sought-after residency, and a well-deserved promotion this week. 
  • My husband and I were asked to attend a Young Single Adult Ward (congregation) as "ward missionaries." So excited!  
  • My mother's helper was ill this week. Fortunately, her illness coincided with my visit, which was a blessing because she didn't feel pressed to come to work and my mother still had the help she desired.
  • Today our part of Colorado received a much needed snowstorm! 
  • The announcement that a new little one is expected in our family. ;o) {Time to start sewing again!}