Monday, September 17, 2012

Home is where the Heart is...


A couple of months ago I committed to adding punches of color to our informal dining area. This weekend I got around to decorating another wall in that room. My husband and I love maps. Recently I've been inspired by heart-filled maps found on Etsy that indicate where a family lives, but I had another purpose in mind as I shopped around for a map that would fit in this recently color-filled room. I found the perfect map on Amazon...


This beautiful map with its brightly colored states was just what I was looking for to compliment the colors on our new shelves. I was shocked to find that the total cost for this beautiful 22"x34" map was under $10,  including shipping! {Seriously!!!} I had it framed in a simple black frame with a white beveled mat. I wanted the focal point to be the map itself, not the frame...


This is where the fun part began. Our seven children and their families are spread across the U.S. from one coast to the other. I wish they were all closer, but that just isn't the case right now. I thought it would be fun to have a reminder on our wall of their presence in our lives even though we are far-flung. That's where the map came in. I ordered a vinyl wall sticker {very reasonably priced} from Vinyl Wall Expressions and placed it above the framed map.


I also ordered some teeny little red hearts -- about 1/3" tall -- from Vinyl Wall Expressions that I placed on the glass to indicate where the different members of our family reside...



The quote "Home is where the heart is..." rings true in my life. However, home, for me, is not so much a physical dwelling as it is a place where family gathers. I'm truly "home" when I'm surrounded by family -- no matter where that might be. This wall expresses that thought, and it makes me smile whenever I walk by. It also adds that spice of color that I hoped to incorporate in that room.