Thursday, December 22, 2011

Best Peanut Brittle...


I dreamt of a white Christmas last night, and this morning my dream came true. Colorado is gorgeous today. More than a foot of snow fell last night, and it truly is a winter-wonderland outside. It's a perfect day to hibernate inside and make some candy...


Last year I tried my hand at Peanut Brittle. I'd never had much luck with candy-making before but for some reason my ability increased dramatically last year, and I became the Peanut Brittle Queen. {Probably due to this easy recipe I found!} Yesterday I chose a different twist and "frosted" the peanut brittle with chocolate and chopped peanuts. It's good. Very good.


 This particular recipe is light and airy. 
{Easy on the choppers!}


I don't know if you're snow-bound in your neck of the woods, 
but here's the recipe just in case...

Best Peanut Brittle

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Tip: You can also make 1/2 recipe with great results.

Ingredients:
2 cup white sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
2 cup peanuts
4 tablespoons butter
2 teaspoon baking soda
{candy thermometer} 

Optional:
1 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup chopped peanuts


Directions:
1. Grease a large cookie sheet (with sides) and set aside.
2. In a heavy 2 or 3 quart saucepan, over medium heat, bring to a boil sugar, corn syrup, salt, and water. Stir until sugar is dissolved and add peanuts. Set candy thermometer in place and continue cooking. Stir frequently until temperature reaches 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). 
3. Remove from heat; immediately stir in butter and baking soda; pour at once onto cookie sheet. Push peanut mixture into the rectangle about 14x12 inches.
4. {Optional "Frosting"} Immediately pour bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips over hot  peanut brittle. Wait several minutes until the chips have melted and are spreadable. Spread chocolate over the top of the brittle and top with chopped peanuts.


Have a wonderful day!