Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Bloomin' Tuesday...


The last few weeks have been busy. Two weeks with grandkids and kids visiting here in Colorado, and then another in the Nashville area watching three of our grandkiddos while their mom took her finals. It's good to be home, but being with our children and grandchildren is the best! My husband worked hard in his spare time weeding, trimming and mowing our yard while I was away, but there was still a lot to do when I came home. I completely neglected our potted plants for weeks, so yesterday morning I spent a couple of hours tending to the patio area and those container plants. My container plants struggle in the heat this time of year. That's one reason I've loved planting grasses in containers the last couple of years. Ornamental grasses are hardy and don't mind the heat, so even in the throws of summer they thrive.


This spring I planted some pansies in a container. They lasted till the 4th of July and then started to wane, so I planted some Mexican Heather in their stead. I love this plant. In Colorado it's an annual, but it does well planted in a rock garden setting or in containers. The three little plants have already spread and filled the container.


The impatiens I planted in late spring have filled in the entire area...


And my morning glory have reached the tops of the "tents" and are filling in beautifully...


Lest you think everything is butterflies and rainbows in our yard our veggie garden is a complete flop this year. We had some unusually cool, wet weather early this summer, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it, but I'm so sad it's not producing. I guess I'll have to rely on generous friends and farmer's markets to supply me with zucchini, fresh lettuce and ripe tomatoes this summer.