Sunday, April 01, 2012

Thankful Thoughts...

For those new to my blog let me begin with a brief explanation of my "Thankful Thoughts" post. Occasionally, on Sundays, I publish a post that answers one or more of the following questions...

1.) What surprised me this week?
2.) What moved me this week?
3.) What inspired me this week?

By concentrating on these questions throughout the week, I start and end each week with a more grateful, happy heart and a more positive outlook on life. On to this week's journal entry...

What moved me this week?
I'm certain the year 2012 will go down in my family's history as one of our most challenging years. Since January we have faced a number of formidable situations. Tuesday morning my husband and I awoke, read the scriptures together, said our morning prayers, and then I crawled back into bed. I don't remember that ever happening before -- not having the energy or the will to want to get up and start my day. The night before we had received sad and unsettling news that rocked our already shaky world. I was confused and disheartened and didn't want to face the day, so I lay in bed talking {but mostly haggling} with God.

An hour later I roused myself and went downstairs. As I usually do I immediately went to my computer to check email, and my eyes rested on an unexpected note in my inbox. A couple of years ago I posted a You Tube video, "Do You Have Room", on my blog at Christmastime. At that time I wrote an email to Shawna Edwards, the songwriter, to tell her how her song had touched my heart and to thank her. She wrote back a sweet note, but we hadn't corresponded since that time. That morning as I checked my inbox I noticed an email from Shawna. The email announced a new song she had written for the Easter season and linked to the You Tube video below. As I listened to the song, my spirit lifted and I was moved. If you have a minute take a listen...


The song says, "I believe in miracles." That morning deep in discouragement, I had briefly forgotten that I, too, believe in miracles -- both big and small. I've seen and experienced many in my life. Like the song states the most important miracle of all was the one that Jesus performed when he rescued you and me. When I was younger the atonement meant rescue from sin, but these last few months I've come to know it means much more. It means being rescued from the world -- all the pain, the confusion, the heartache, the uncertainty -- all those things that hurt us physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I've begun to apply the atonement in different ways in my life, and I've felt comforted, blessed, and renewed. I had temporarily forgotten these things that morning as I lay in bed, but this song helped remind me that miracles truly happen and the greatest miracle of all is the one that delivers us from sin and the troubles and trials of this life. My hope is that you, no matter your circumstance, will know this too.

What surprised me this week?
Tender mercies -- and lots of them. Since I wrote the paragraph above, our family members had several more tender mercies. There are several references in the scriptures to the "tender mercies of the Lord." I have come to realize that these "tender mercies" are the very personal and individualized blessings and ministrations which we receive from and through the Savior. Some are poignant and obvious blessings of protection or healing, while others come in a more subtle, quiet form as inspiration, support or confirmation. When I recognize the source of these ministrations -- as I did this week -- I realize how wonderful it feels to be loved and care for by Him, and I realize, once again, that He is mindful of me and aware of my family's needs. Sometimes the intensity and frequency of these blessings takes me by surprise, as they did this week. One such tender mercy was simply a quote I received in an email that gave me understanding and brought me joy. I thought you might like it too...

"Patience is a willingness, in a sense, to watch the unfolding purposes of God with a sense of wonder and awe, rather than pacing up and down within the cell of our circumstances."  - Neal A. Maxwell, "Patience"