Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Bloomin' Tuesday


One of my favorite and most reliable springtime plants is the "Bleeding Heart". Every year my Bleeding Heart grows a little larger and heartier. She's tucked away in a rock garden by my front door...


Bleeding Hearts (Lamprocapnos spectabilis) are perennials that usually bloom from late spring through early summer. Because our weather is so much warmer this spring, this one is strutting her stuff a little early this year.


This popular plant is perfect for flower gardens. In a moist, cool climate it will grow in full sun, but here in Colorado where the climate is drier it requires some shade. Mine has thrived in a spot that has shade most of the day.


Another favorite spring blossom is the Forget-Me-Not shown in the foreground in the photo below. In Colorado this plant is a perennial, but in more moderate climates it's considered an annual. It's seeds scatter in the fall and volunteers shoot up in the spring, sprinkling our garden with their happy faces.


Did you know that according to German legend, as God was naming all the plants a tiny unnamed one cried out, "Forget-me-not, O Lord." God then replied, "That shall be your name." ;o)

For more Bloomin' Tuesday posts, go to Ms. Green Thumb Jeans.


13 comments:

Sugarr2518 said...

Your bleeding hearts are soo beautiful. I'm looking to revamp our landscaping and this looks like a great flower to use:)

Julie said...

I am greatly attached to bleeding hearts. I am on my second round of them in my yard--still trying to find the right place for them to thrive. They are on their third year and so far so good. :)

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

Bleeding hearts are my absolute favorite flower...I've loved them since I was a little child.

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

P.S. And yours are gorgeous!

Annie of Blue Gables said...

My bleeding hearts are strutting their stuff as well. I love those plants. I need some forget-me-not seeds. I LOVED Ukdorf's talk. That is one I will Never Forget. <3
~a

Darla said...

This does it! I am going to try Bleeding Hearts one more time. I see them on every blog and I just swoon. Love the Legend....

Mia said...

Thank you for reminding me how much I love ranunculas (sp?) and bleeding hearts.

Jean said...

Suzanne, Bleeding Heart is one of my favorites too! I have a few but can't seem to find 'that perfect spot' so I get a huge one. Lovely! Jean

pasqueflower said...

Beautiful!! Awesome colors.

Renee said...

I always love your garden pictures Suzanne! Seriously, someday you're going to find me wandering around your yard taking it all in! hahaha

kr said...

bleeding hearts and forget-me-nots are two of my favorite flowers among peonies, irises, lilacs, violets...:) Gorgeous garden and flowers beds you have.

lefty.rollins said...

What a beautiful garden! I also live in Colorado, but I'm still trying to figure out what will grow in our backyard. I'll have to try some of these plants!

Staci said...

I've also got a fondness for bleeding hearts. When I was growing up my mom had a huge grouping. It was on the north side of our house below our dining room window. It was our cocker spaniel's favorite resting spot - she'd climb in there and soften up the soil and then snooze away hot afternoons. We buried her there when we had to put her to sleep. Wish I'd taken a start of those bleeding hearts when my mom moved...