Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Rabbit Pillow...


I've missed my machine of late. There is little that picks me up like the hum-drum of my sewing machine. Lately, I've been so involved in our bathroom redo, that I've neglected her and she's sat in my closet. Yesterday I dusted her off. Is it too early to introduce a Spring pillow? Please tell me it isn't. Yesterday I created an appliqued Bunny Pillow that could be used throughout spring and summer!


Here's how I began the process: First, I found a  rabbit silhouette on the internet. Isn't she adorable?


I screen saved the image and cropped it in Picassa3. Then I inserted the saved image into a Word file and enlarged it to size I desired...


Next, I printed the Word document and cut the image out...


I always applique by using Wonder-Under by Pellon. Wonder-Under is a double-sided adhesive web or interfacing. You cut out a piece of fabric big enough for your image and a piece of Wonder-Under the same size. Iron the Wonder-Under onto the wrong side of your fabric (paper side up), then trace your image onto the Wonder-Under. Cut out the image, then peel the paper off the Wonder-Under and fuse or iron the applique onto the fabric of your choice -- I used muslin. After adhering the applique to the fabric, I use a decorative machine stitch to better secure the image onto my fabric...


For this pillow I made a panel for the rabbit and surrounded it with a "fabric frame"...


I like how she turned out. She's springy, fun and has a hint of Easter in her!


I finished off the back a little differently this time. I cut a zipper the height of my pillow and capped the ends with some fabric, like this...


Then I just sewed the zipper to the two pieces of the pillow back. I love this finished look and it "holds" the pillow back together much better than the usual envelope closure.


I was thinking I might wait a couple of weeks before displaying this pillow, but then I thought better. Maybe it will encourage Spring to show up a little earlier!




Linked to:
Living Life Crafty @ Sassy Sites

15 comments:

Sandy said...

So cute and spring-like. I have some muslin in my stash I may have to dig out. I love how you made the "frame" around the rabbit... can you share how you did that?

Susi said...

Pretty pillow...love the colors. I don't sew but seeing your items sure makes me want to try.

Suzanne said...

Sandy - Go to this tutorial...

http://justanotherhangup.blogspot.com/2010/09/printing-on-fabric.html

and you'll get an idea how to make the "frame."

...And Faux Pearls said...

This is so adorable! I could never make this in a million years. Some people have a gift for sewing beautifully, and you
are definitely one of them!

Maryam said...

I love the fabric on the bunny. What an awesome pillow.

melismama said...

Oh My gosh, I wish you had an Etsy store, I want one of these! It turned out great!

annemarie said...

Lovely pillow - love your fabrics.

Julie said...

I must say, you are the QUEEN of pillows. I love them all.

Melissa said...

Love the print and love the silhouette - great combination.

Julie said...

Never too early for a spring bunny! This is so sweet, perfect and love the color!!!

Lynn said...

Very cute pillow! I hope it encourages spring to make it's appearance soon!!

Krystal said...

My mind is all about spring right now! Love your pillow. I'm featuring you tomorrow on my blog if you'd like to check it out.
Thanks!
Sassy Sanctuary

Maggie said...

Oh I love rabbits and this is just on time for Spring.

Mia said...

How adorable is that rabbit!! Love the fabric you used.

Heavenly Savings said...

I love crafty blogs! I can't get enough! This idea is wonderful! I’m a new follower Happy Friday!! I would love for you to stop and take a look at my blog as well! Thanks!
http://heavenlysavings.blogspot.com