Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Rabbit Pillow...


I've missed my machine of late. There is little that picks me up like the hum-drum of my sewing machine. Lately, I've been so involved in our bathroom redo, that I've neglected her and she's sat in my closet. Yesterday I dusted her off. Is it too early to introduce a Spring pillow? Please tell me it isn't. Yesterday I created an appliqued Bunny Pillow that could be used throughout spring and summer!


Here's how I began the process: First, I found a  rabbit silhouette on the internet. Isn't she adorable?


I screen saved the image and cropped it in Picassa3. Then I inserted the saved image into a Word file and enlarged it to size I desired...


Next, I printed the Word document and cut the image out...


I always applique by using Wonder-Under by Pellon. Wonder-Under is a double-sided adhesive web or interfacing. You cut out a piece of fabric big enough for your image and a piece of Wonder-Under the same size. Iron the Wonder-Under onto the wrong side of your fabric (paper side up), then trace your image onto the Wonder-Under. Cut out the image, then peel the paper off the Wonder-Under and fuse or iron the applique onto the fabric of your choice -- I used muslin. After adhering the applique to the fabric, I use a decorative machine stitch to better secure the image onto my fabric...


For this pillow I made a panel for the rabbit and surrounded it with a "fabric frame"...


I like how she turned out. She's springy, fun and has a hint of Easter in her!


I finished off the back a little differently this time. I cut a zipper the height of my pillow and capped the ends with some fabric, like this...


Then I just sewed the zipper to the two pieces of the pillow back. I love this finished look and it "holds" the pillow back together much better than the usual envelope closure.


I was thinking I might wait a couple of weeks before displaying this pillow, but then I thought better. Maybe it will encourage Spring to show up a little earlier!




Linked to:
Living Life Crafty @ Sassy Sites