Tuesday, March 29, 2011

From Slightly Used to Almost New ...

You might remember that my youngest daughter is having a baby in June. {so excited!} A sweet friend of mine offered my daughter and her husband a rocking chair that they had used for the last seven years for their three children. It was such a generous gesture! My daughter was thrilled when she found out the rocker was white -- as she had been looking for a second-hand {white!} rocker for some time. This is what it looked like when it was dropped off at our home.


The painted wood was in wonderful condition, but we knew a little reupholstering was in its future. My daughter went to work looking for some fabric that would suit their needs. She finally decided on this fun, swirly canvas fabric found at Hobby Lobby. I've used this fabric for several other projects. It's a great medium weight canvas. Here's what became of that little ol' denim rocker. {I'm hoping this wild and crazy fabric won't keep the baby up at night, but that is not something I'm willing to guarantee.}

Love it! 


To recover cushions, just trace around the existing cushion to make a pattern. Then measure the sides and add enough to the edge of the pattern for the sides. Include a seam allowance and you're set!

Something I "fixed" on the rocker were a number of "holes" (like the one below) where screws were placed but not covered with any kind of plug.

 

I bought a package of 1/2" wood plugs at Hobby Lobby and painted them white. Then I tightened up the screws, put a dollop of wood glue in the holes and plopped a plug into each hole. It gave the chair a more finished look...


My daughter is going to place this rocker in her little boy's nursery that will be decorated in yellow and white -- with a dash of swirly orange. She is planning on incorporating a "robot" theme, so I'll be coming up with a pillow later this week that features R2D2's cousin...  ;o)

Cost:
Chair & Ottoman: Free {Thank you!}
Fabric: 3 yards @ $27
Additional foam cushion for footstool: $3
Wood plugs: $1.50
Velcro: $1.50
Thread
Total: $33


 

Linked to:
Friday Flair @ Whipperberry
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Show Off Your Stuff Party @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
All Things Inspired @ All Things Heart & Home
Get Your Craft On @ Today's Creative Blog
Trash to Treasure @ Sassy Sites
Anything Related @ All Things Related
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

26 comments:

Susan Woods said...

That is beautiful! Love the fabric and you did incredible work as always. Lucky baby, and mommy.

Julie Harward said...

That is a beautiful job...really fresh and pretty! I have an old 1940's chair I am dieing to get done but I don't know how to do it and it costs so much to have it done!

Jan said...

Gorgeous! I love it -- looks beautiful.

And thanks for the Dwipe -- it arrived quickly and is even prettier than it looked online!!

Devonay said...

It turned out beautifully! Great job!

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...

That turned out great!! I love that fabric!!

kisa said...

this is seriously INCREDIBLE!! I LOVE the fabric and the white is fantastic. Way to go!! :)

alison said...

This turned out great, I am featuring it as part of my Idea List today!

www.StashHappy.com

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder said...

I am loving what you did with the chair! It's very cheerful.

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

So, so beautiful! I am going to have to go grab myself some of that fantastic orange fabric- I hope they have some at our Hobby Lobby. Can't wait for the robot pillow. :)
xoxo,
Amy

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

Hi, Suzanne - congrats on the new grandbaby coming soon - we're expecting our first grandbaby in Sept - The chair looks great, love the fabric. Cant wait to see the pillow creation.

Carolyn said...

Wow, great job...I bet they would like to have it back now.

virginiamae said...

Love it!

Lauren @ YoungNester said...

WOW! It turned out beautiful! I love an upcycle!

Jillian said...

Looks fabulous! Love it!

Brandi said...

gorgeous makeover! I love it!

Melissa said...

It looks vibrant and happy in its new wardrobe... ;)

Caroline said...

This looks AWESOME. Love the wood plugs idea too. I woud've never thought of that.

dubb and dawni said...

looks like a sweet chair to rock sweet baby to sleep

Amanda K @ Every Crafty Endeavor said...

This is darling! I love the dang cute orange fabric you picked. It totally pops but not so much it is overwhelming. So cute!

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

Love it! You did a great job!

Rachel said...

I love the new look! Thanks for explaining how you did it.

Mia said...

This is pretty much perfect for her isn't it! So gorgeous.

Shannon said...

Love the bright colors! So happy! Beautifully done!

Rebekah said...

Gorgeous!!

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

You did such a great job on this and so inexpensively! I just re-purposed a chair & used orange fabric as well--small world! (I'm finishing the post later today). Great blog.

Warmly, Michelle

Janice Kotouch said...

Would you consider making an entirely new set? I bought the pair 18 years ago when my son was born and have never found an affordable set that fit. I am a crafter in almost all aspects except sewing. You did a beautiful job and should consider going into business. I would be your first customer!