Thursday, March 10, 2011

Baby Boy Burpies...

We have a baby boy joining our family this summer, so I thought I would get busy and make some essentials. I love this pattern for a baby burp cloth. I made some of these a couple of months ago and the young mother said it is her favorite burpie for her new little one.


Here's the tutorial for these Baby Burpies {the easy way} that I created a couple of months ago to show you how to produce this easy project! Made from cloth diapers, they are absorbent, they wash well, and the fabric wrinkles less than most cotton fabrics...


Did you recognize the contrasting fabrics I used? Well, if you frequent the baby isle in Target they might look familiar. I was planning on making some burpies so I was at Target picking up a dozen cloth diapers, when I passed some receiving blankets. I'd never buy these items to use as receiving blankets because I consider them too small for the task, but the cute fabric caught my eye, and I decided to purchase the blankets to use as the contrasting fabric on these burpies. The cost of the fabric was about $2.30 a yard which is fabulous. I also liked the soft texture of the flannel and how the fabrics coordinated but not in a "matchy-matchy" way! I cut twenty 6"x21" pieces out of the contrasting fabric -- five out of each fabric -- to make a total of 20 burp cloths! 


Cost breakdown:
$17 for 12 pre-folded diapers = $1.41 per diaper
$8 for 4 receiving blankets = $.40 strip per burp cloth
$1.50 (50% off) Ric-rac @ Hobby Lobby (see below) = $.75 per burp cloth
thread


That's a total of $2.50 per burpie!


A couple of these burpies combined with a few other items would make a fabulous baby shower gift!

Linked to:
Friday Fun Finds @ kojo designs
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
All Things Domestic @ Crazy Domestic
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Catch-as-Catch-Can @ My rePurposed Life
SAS @ Just a Girl

16 comments:

Renee said...

Suzanne, you are so stinking talented! I'm linking to the tutorial now.

Lynn said...

These would be a great gift for a new mom! Exciting that you are adding another member to your family!

{northern cottage} said...

I'm officially your newest follower - your tut on this was fabulous!

I made some burpies a few weeks back and did the material half way down top to bottom (so top of diaper (over he shoulder) was white and the bottom was cute material. I used ric rac too and just loved that addition. I WISH I HAD KNOWN ABOUT YOUR TUTORIAL THEN!! I just made it up as I went along but your version does seem SOOO much easier. Thanks for sharing.

Swing by for a visit sometime - www.northerncottage.blogspot.com

Kim said...

I am expecting a baby boy in May and got that bedding collection from Target for his room. I had the same thought about the receiving blankets, too small for that purpose, but pretty good priced flannel, so I bought some. I hadn't decided what to do with it yet though, so I might have to try this out! Love your tutorials. I have now made a car caddy, two crayon caddies, an owl heating pad, and a little girl tote! Thank you for your great ideas and directions! Sometime I will have to take pictures of all my projects!

Lisa said...

this is awesome! i have 3 pregnant friends/relatives...and i can see some burpies in their futures!

kisa said...

Seriously LOVE these!!! So cute, they are practically part of the decor! I love how nice and neat they fold up, too. Love love love!!!

J & A said...

Love these. My SIL and bro are having their first baby next month and I would like to make some of these fr them. Thanks fo the tuto.

Come over for a visit.
www.jeffratzlaff.blogspot.com

Mia said...

So cute! What a great idea to use the blankets for the burp clothes. I love the patterns too.

Jan said...

Really fun and cute!! (am I boring you with my awe and amazement at what you do? I hope not -- because it's 100% sincere!)

Kade and Emily said...

This is way off the subject of burpies, but I just wanted to show you the creativity you inspired in me.
You can check out my blog here:
http://emnkade.blogspot.com/2011/03/you-may-be-righti-may-be-crazy.html

Thanks for your tutorials! You are a fabulous seamstress, and I love your creativity.

Chris said...

Love the ric-rack! The Target blankets are a GREAT idea, think I'll head there this weekend. My daughter's baby shower is in 2 weeks, this will be a perfect additon to her gift! Thanks Suzanne, you are always coming up with the best ideas and gifts!!

Jillian said...

Cute, cute, cute! That baby and mom are sure going to enjoy these burpies!

Kristy said...

Love these!

Mason/Sam/Family said...

I've been looking for a great tutorial for these exact burpies - I found your original post. Perfect. I whipped up a few this weekend and they are just what I wanted. Now I came across this updated post with the receiving blanket suggestion and cost breakdown. I'll be headed over to the baby section at Target this week to pick up more diapers and some blankets. Thanks so much!!!

www.tssimplecreations.blogspot.com

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

suzanne! how cute are those! I love how useful they will be to new moms! :)
gail

Mary Ellen said...

Found your blog from pinterest and I love it! I am preparing to make some of these burp cloths for a friend of mine. My prefolds quilted a lot when I washed them and they are no longer crisp and flat. :( Any suggestions?