Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Refinishing an End Table...


When I visited my oldest daughter in February, she and I searched thrift stores in her area trying to find an end table for her to refinish for her living room. Try as we might there were none to be had. However, a couple of weeks ago I was out with a friend when we passed a garage sale. On our way back home we stopped at the sale and there stood the end table of my {daughter's} dreams...


Ok, this wasn't exactly the end table that dreams are made of, but it showed great promise, and the best part was...


Because this daughter has a little bun in the oven  -- yes, both my daughter's are expecting -- I was designated as the official furniture refinisher beautician for this project.

In her time I'm sure this little table was stylin' and the epitome of fashion, but she had become a bit outdated and {dare I say} dowdy. I started by treating this deteriorating diva to an exfoliating facial with my new orbital sander. In no time at all I erased years from her life...


Before I began the makeover I asked my daughter to go to Home Depot and pick out the color of paint that she wanted me to use. That girl is not afraid of color! She chose "Behr Aquatic Green" -- a gorgeous dark turquoise! For the entire project I used less than a quart of Behr Premium Plus Ultra Paint and Primer in One. {Love it!} Here's what it looked like after the first coat. It's amazing what the right foundation will do...


Botox has nothin' on a great can of paint. It can take years off the face of a piece of furniture! Here she is with two coats of paint applied...

We decided to give her a light coating of bronzer glaze. Glaze will modify and slightly tone down the color of a piece and add dimension and depth to details in furniture. Below is an example of how to glaze. #1 - The painted furniture ready to be glazed. #2 - Paint your glaze on paying close attention to areas of detail where you want the features highlighted. #3 - Use a soft rag to wipe away excess glaze. If you wipe away too much, just add a little more. Glazing is a very inexact science. For this piece I did a very light coating of glaze and concentrated on the detailed areas.


I use Ralph Lauren Faux Technique Glaze found at Home Depot. Here's the recipe...


Here's the front of the table after the glaze had dried...


Well, she's ready for the big reveal. What a difference an exfoliating facial, some new makeup and a little TLC can do...



Originally I was going to buy some new door pulls, but I decided instead to spray paint the original ones silver and glaze them a little. I actually love the shape of these knobs. A can of spray paint can change something from drab to fab. Here's the proof...



I like to think of myself as a generous person, but it's going to take every once of willpower to send this table off to my daughter. ;o)  I adore it, but it will look fabulous in her home!


I take comfort in the fact that some things don't get older, they just get better.


Cost:
Table: $5
Paint: $12
Total: $17


Linked to:
SNS @ Funky Junk Interiors
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just A Girl
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Feature Your Sites @ Sassy Sites
Favorite Things Friday @ The Speckled Dog
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Catch as Can Party @ My Repurposed Life
Hookin' Up w/House of Hepworths
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Show Off Your Stuff @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
20 Below @ Christina's Adventures
All Things Inspired @ All Things Heart & Home
Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
Power of Paint Party @ Domestically Speaking
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm