Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Refinishing an End Table...


When I visited my oldest daughter in February, she and I searched thrift stores in her area trying to find an end table for her to refinish for her living room. Try as we might there were none to be had. However, a couple of weeks ago I was out with a friend when we passed a garage sale. On our way back home we stopped at the sale and there stood the end table of my {daughter's} dreams...


Ok, this wasn't exactly the end table that dreams are made of, but it showed great promise, and the best part was...


Because this daughter has a little bun in the oven  -- yes, both my daughter's are expecting -- I was designated as the official furniture refinisher beautician for this project.

In her time I'm sure this little table was stylin' and the epitome of fashion, but she had become a bit outdated and {dare I say} dowdy. I started by treating this deteriorating diva to an exfoliating facial with my new orbital sander. In no time at all I erased years from her life...


Before I began the makeover I asked my daughter to go to Home Depot and pick out the color of paint that she wanted me to use. That girl is not afraid of color! She chose "Behr Aquatic Green" -- a gorgeous dark turquoise! For the entire project I used less than a quart of Behr Premium Plus Ultra Paint and Primer in One. {Love it!} Here's what it looked like after the first coat. It's amazing what the right foundation will do...


Botox has nothin' on a great can of paint. It can take years off the face of a piece of furniture! Here she is with two coats of paint applied...

We decided to give her a light coating of bronzer glaze. Glaze will modify and slightly tone down the color of a piece and add dimension and depth to details in furniture. Below is an example of how to glaze. #1 - The painted furniture ready to be glazed. #2 - Paint your glaze on paying close attention to areas of detail where you want the features highlighted. #3 - Use a soft rag to wipe away excess glaze. If you wipe away too much, just add a little more. Glazing is a very inexact science. For this piece I did a very light coating of glaze and concentrated on the detailed areas.


I use Ralph Lauren Faux Technique Glaze found at Home Depot. Here's the recipe...


Here's the front of the table after the glaze had dried...


Well, she's ready for the big reveal. What a difference an exfoliating facial, some new makeup and a little TLC can do...



Originally I was going to buy some new door pulls, but I decided instead to spray paint the original ones silver and glaze them a little. I actually love the shape of these knobs. A can of spray paint can change something from drab to fab. Here's the proof...



I like to think of myself as a generous person, but it's going to take every once of willpower to send this table off to my daughter. ;o)  I adore it, but it will look fabulous in her home!


I take comfort in the fact that some things don't get older, they just get better.


Cost:
Table: $5
Paint: $12
Total: $17


Linked to:
SNS @ Funky Junk Interiors
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
SAS @ Just A Girl
Frugal Friday @ The Shabby Nest
Feature Your Sites @ Sassy Sites
Favorite Things Friday @ The Speckled Dog
Frugalicious Friday @ Finding Fabulous
Catch as Can Party @ My Repurposed Life
Hookin' Up w/House of Hepworths
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage
Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple
Show Off Your Stuff @ Fireflies & Jellybeans
20 Below @ Christina's Adventures
All Things Inspired @ All Things Heart & Home
Show & Tell @ Blue Cricket Design
Power of Paint Party @ Domestically Speaking
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm

48 comments:

Patsy said...

Great job and I love the color!

gail@myrepurposedlife.net said...

wow! you did a fabulous job! Both girls expecting? I think you will have a lot more projects on your hands. But hey! that's what moms are for, right?
love the table! and the price!
gail

Julie said...

Yesterday's fabulous rocking chair and this amazing end table. Wow. You are one talented woman!

Lisa said...

Looks amazing Suzanne. LOVE the colour.

Alison said...

You give me hope that someday my very drab dresser will be transformed into something beautiful again. But since I am pregnant, it will have to wait until the baby is born this summer. Thanks for the great ideas!

Nancy's Notes said...

What a transformation! I love the brilliant color! I looks awesome and now you've inspired me to do something like this to one of my old pieces! Happy I found your blog!

Nancy

Martha said...

Beautiful!! I would love to see a picture of it in your daughter's home.

Amy at Ameroonie Designs said...

I love this. The paint color is dramatic to say the least- perfect for a lovely accent piece like this. I will definitely have to get some glaze to have on hand for when I'm ready to tackle my secretary in my living room. Thanks for another lovely post, Suzanne!
xoxo,
Amy

Cathy @ The Far Fifty said...

Great transformation! Love the colour your daughter went with, so fun :)

Debilou ~ Mississippi Mama said...

the table looks terrific,, LOVE the color she chose and the glazing just made it look so much better.

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Oh my...what an awesome $17 makeover...love the color that she went with and those knobs look great spray painted. Hop over and show her off at NTT...I'm also having a cute giveaway.

Blessings,
Linda

P.S. LOVE the header!!!

Melissa said...

I agree!! The knobs are absolutely fabulous!! Everything is but I love the knobs!!

Devonay said...

Love the color! And the price is amazing!

Cassie said...

It's fabulous! That blue is perfection!!!
=)

Kim said...

Beautiful work and what a wonderful color she picked. I would have a hard time giving it up too!

Cindy @ LeChaiseParfait said...

really cute love the color

claudia b said...

wow wow wow. Love this. I am drooling over turquoise right now so I would LOVE to have something like this - thank you for the inspiration!!!

Jennifer said...

Will you find one for me too?

Julie Harward said...

It turned out great...I love love that blue! ;D

Rachel said...

I really like it, that color is great!

Trisha @ The Sweet Survival said...

Love the mid-century end table! What a great find for $5. Love the paint color too!

Jillian said...

I love the color! Looks cute!

Gayle said...

This looks SO much like a table my daughter recently did - it's not even funny! CUTE!

Jboo said...

Oh my, it is beautiful! I have an entry way table just calling to be painted. Thinking of being a big copycat!

Janet

Mia said...

I wish I were color brave like that! It is beautiful. I am excited for her :)

Shannon said...

Woohooo!! I'm so excited. I forgot to mention that I LOVE the knobs. So cool.

Kami Gimenez said...

I LOVE this!! I will be remembering this paint color, and I love the tutorial on the glaze.
Thanks so much!
Kami

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...

So fabulous!

Kim @ Gussied Up Vintage said...

What a great color she chose! I love how you sprayed the hardware silver!

Anna said...

Suzanne, this is beautiful! I feel like a champ when I manage something like this for myself... but to give it away! Lucky daughter!

Taren said...

Oh my goodness! I have almost the exact same side table that I got at a thrift store for $2.50. I wasn't sure if I should go boring black or put color on it. Now I am super confused. I love what you did!

Stacey@A Sort Of Fairytale said...

love that blue paint...beautiful job!

Katherines Corner said...

Gorgeous, well done! I absolutely love the color!!! Happy Friday Hugs!

Sunni said...

Love this!

Mindy @ Heart Maine Home said...

Wow, that is simply stunning! What a fun color. And those knobs in silver are to die for...I'm glad you were able to reuse them.

Mrs. Bliss said...

That color is just perfect! I don't blame you for wanting to keep it! You really have a good eye!

I'm stopping by from justagirl...

Allison@FabRehab said...

Love the price and love the end result even more! Fab redo!

Yay! DIY said...

This is GREAT! I love the blue, its so fun and lively - totally unexpected for a piece like this. Love it!
Erin from YAYDIY.com

Christina said...

That color is so fun! it turned out really well :)

Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

The Rusty Bucket said...

From holy grossness to absolutely fabulous!
I would be OK if you showed up on my doorstep ready to give me this. Cue, cute, cute!
-Bethanie

Marriah said...

It came out great. I love the color. www.mylifeunzipped.blogspot.com

The House Creative said...

I love the color! What a great transformation. Beautiful!

Ches said...

I may steal this color for my kitchen island. Great job.

Jean said...

Love this end table! Great color and transformation. Also love the basket full of blooms on your door. Jean

Robin said...

You know you're so good at the refinishing you'll always have the job!
I love this color by the way!!!
xo
Robin

Faith, Trust, and a Little Pixie Dust said...

How pretty! Love the turquoise. Great blog too. Thanks for stopping by mine so that I could find you.

Warmly, Michelle

~Rosanne said...

Love it and congrats on the new little ones that are on the way!

Nicole Stewart said...

Wow! This table looks amazing! Love the color that was used! I also like how you just spruced up the hardware already on the piece! Awesome!!