Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Standing Lamp Redo

These last few days have been busy! I'm getting ready for a short trip this weekend, and as a result I've been sewing and painting up a storm. We're heading west for a family reunion and some of our kids will be there. Since our newly married daughter is attending the reunion with us, I asked if she would like me to make her some pillows like I made her sister here and here. I also had an extra floor lamp that we were no longer using, so I asked if she would like that as well. The answer was "yes!" so I went to work!

We decided the floor lamp needed to be updated a bit for their more contemporary taste. Here's the photo of the lamp before the redo. Personally, I'm fine with the metal finish on the lamp the way it was. I like different finishes in a room, including metals, but said child unit thought it might be better painted brown for her more contemporary place. I aim to please.

I took some Krylon "Outdoor Spaces" brown satin spray paint and went to work. No priming is necessary. When I was finished she looked like this...

Hmmmm. Very plain Jane chocolaty brown. As much as I love that color poured all over ice cream, for lamp bases I prefer a little more variation. I hoped by adding a darker glaze it would give it a little more pizazz and a more "natural" finish. I added a couple of tablespoons of black acrylic craft paint to about 1/2 cup Ralph Lauren smokey glaze and mixed it together.

Then I painted 'er on and lightly rubbed off the glaze till the finish was just right. Ahhh, so much better. It added just the right depth to the stand and made it look so much more natural. (It looks a little darker in the pictures than it actually is.)

See the difference up close and personal...

Next I concentrated on the lamp shade. The previous shade was very formal, so I bought an inexpensive more contemporary shade at Target -- marked down because it had a little "crease" -- and covered it in some of the fabric that I used for her pillows. I used the same process to recover this shade as I did on the last shade. This lamp is now wild and crazy and so very cute!

I love how it turned out. It hardly looks like the same lamp.

That's one of the pillows I made her. It clashes a bit on that chair, but it will go well on her brown sofa!

After going to all this "trouble"... I'm thinking this lamp would be perfect in my family room hoping she'll love it!



Linked to:
Boardwalk Bragfest @ Bobbypins Boardwalk
Trash to Treasure @ Reinvented
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Get Your Craft On Tuesday @ Today's Creative Blog
Toot Your Horn Tuesday @ A Silly Little Sparrow

23 comments:

Jan said...

Gorgeous, as always! I need you to come help me get my new house set up so that it too is gorgeous!

Julie Harward said...

She will love it..it looks so nice! And it was so nice of you to go the extra mile for her! Come say hi :D

Decorchick! said...

They look great! I'm sure she (or you) will love it. :) Love that lamp shade too! xxoo

Kim said...

Looks beautiful! I especially love the contemporary shade!
xoxo,
Kim

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Love your lamp and your pillow. I just bought some of that Ralph Lauren Smokey stain last night to use on a furniture project. I think everybody in blogland has recommended it. It put the perfect finish on your lamp. Love & blessings from NC!

G-Zell said...

The lamp is gorgeous!

Tina said...

Beautiful as always Suzanne! I love both the base and that gorgeous shade:) Your daughters are so lucky to have such a talented Mum:) I hope you have a fabulous time away on the weekend ~ Tina xx

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Beautiful lamp!

Wendy said...

Looks great! I love how you made the brown a deeper brown color! Fabulous :)

Debbie said...

LOVES IT! I have that very same fabric I used on a table runner....orange you glad you came is the post....your lamp looks gorgeous..perfect perfect!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Looking good...luv that orange and white fabric! Thanks for coming to my party...hoping you have a good time:)

Blessings,
Linda

Joy @ Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

Your lamp looks great and works well with the pillow.

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk said...

The glaze was the icing on the cake, so to speak (no more "chocolate" or gold). It really updated the lamp and I also LOVE the shade!

Lisa said...

WOW... The fabric choice is perfect! DONT GIVE IT AWAY! LOL I really love it now. It was nice before, but now it packs a punch. Another great job Suzanne.

Jboo said...

Oh my -- that turned out beautiful -- your daughter is so lucky! I'm visiting from Traci's blog -- your pillows are gorgeous!

Have a great day.

Janet

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

How could she not love it - what a great mommy you are! It looks fantastic.

Dita Maulani said...

Very delicate lamp. Beautiful pattern too. Sweet!

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

I love your lamp redo! Especially that shade -- perfect!!

Terrell said...

Serioulsy Love It! It adds the perfect pop to that sitting area! Amazing job!!
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

Melissa said...

It all looks great but I will take the wrought iron piece behind it all, thank you!!

Carolynn said...

Love the jaunty fabric! Well done. Again.

The Gough Inn said...

Now that's a nicely done and simple face lift - and with the pillow - that's doing the extra touch that one always remember and loves -- making you special indeed!

Jan @ bobbypins boardwalk said...

Hi Suzanne: I wanted to let you know that your lamp makeover was one of our most popular links this past week at the Boardwalk Bragfest. You can see that you are featured here:

http://wwwbobbypinsboardwalk.blogspot.com/2010/06/featured-attractions-on-bobbypins.html

Feel free to grab a featured button for your lamp project and I look forward to seeing what other projects you have in the future. Thank you so much for participating in the Boardwalk Bragfest!