Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Bloomin' Tuesday...

It's time for Bloomin' Tuesday! Last week I featured our new fountain, and I mentioned I would be planting a gazillion impatiens around the fountain that week. Sometimes I exaggerate. It wasn't really a gazillion. It was 210. You heard me right. It took me three hours on my hands and knees to fill in that area with brightly colored impatiens. I was whimpering by the time I was finished. Last year I planted 280 impatiens in this same area, but because the fountain takes up space that number has been cut down considerably. When we were looking at fountains I mentioned this savings to my husband as a selling point for the fountain we bought. Because it has a large base (instead of a pedestal base), I explained to my husband that I would be able to buy one less flat of impatiens for that area every year. That adds up to quite a savings. (Sometimes he's not overly impressed by all the money I save him.)

Here is what the area surrounding the fountain looks like today with all those little impatiens ready to spread...


This area is shaded by a huge locust tree, so it only gets a little filtered sunshine during the summer. Impatiens thrive in this shady spot, and it takes no time at all for them to completely fill in the area. In years past I have planted same colored impatience in circular rows, like this...

This year I decided to mix it up and plant 8 different colors of impatiens in a random display. Hopefully it will be effective too. Later in the summer when the the area has filled in, I will feature it again.

For more Bloomin' Tuesday posts,
don't forget to head on over to Ms. Green Thumb Jean's!


16 comments:

Kerstin said...

I love it of course! You do math like me. Sometimes husbands can't see the savings quite like us! HAHA

kerstin @ mommytimecrafts.blogspot.com

Darla said...

I adore impatiens...I have mainly white except a few colored ones that returned from last year. This area is going to catch your eye for sure. Please do feature it again and again...you know, my husband doesn't appreciate it when I save him money either, lol.

perennialgardener said...

I bet that is going to look amazing when the Impatiens fill in. That fountain is really cool, I love the sound of water in the garden. :)

Mandy said...

Absolutely gorgeous! It'll be carpet of color in no time...love how quickly they fill in. Your fountain is so nice...the whole backyard looks lovely! That's a project that I need to get to some day.

Enjoy your day,
Mandy

Melissa said...

It looks gorgeous - but I don't envy you the work planting!!

Tracy said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I love impatients but don't have a nice shady spot with decent soil (ie: without massive quantities of rocks)in my yard to plant them. It must look amazing when the flowers fill in

Bonnie said...

Too funny! I understand your math. My husband is the same. He asked me how much something cost and I relate it to golf. "It is about 1/2 round of golf with a cart." He just smiles.

Jean said...

You had to have a lot of patience to plant all those impatients! I can't wait to see them filled in. Great addition to the lovely fountain. Jean

Katie said...

Wowser that's a lot of impatiens! I bet it is going to be gorgeous!

Tolentreasures said...

I love impatiens also! Those are going to be beautiful! I got a huge bargain on mine this year, $4 a flat at the auction. What a deal!

Cathy

Traci at ThreeDogsAtHome said...

Your impatiens look wonderful with you great new fountain. I placed impatiens around my bird bath and I am amazed at how fast they are filling in. I am in aw over the way you planted the different colors in a circular pattern. Did you hubby do the engineering work on that project?
Keep up the good work I am right behind you copying everything, lol.

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

That looks great right now, and I can't wait to see it a little later in the summer. Gorgeous.

Jen

Paula said...

Beautiful! I am excited tos ee it as th season progresses! Thanks for sharing, Paula from Idaho

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Looking gorgeous already! That shade of pink is the prettiest.
Wishing you a happy happy day, Suzanne. xx

Tina said...

Suzanne, you have such a beautiful garden!! I love all of the impatiens surrounding your fountain, such beautiful colour! Hope you are having a wonderful week ~ Tina xx

Emily {Frilly Details} said...

I LOVE impatients! I plant them around my hostas under the big trees in the back. I just can't get over your fountain, it's so cute!

fyi, I'm adding your blog to my favorite list :)