Monday, June 28, 2010

"Antique" Pedestal Bowl

I'm back in town after having a fabulous time at a family reunion last weekend. I'll have to tell you more about that in another post, but first I'll show you this little project I whipped up today. Raise your hand if you know that Hobby Lobby is having their semi-annual clearance sale. Yay!!! It's obvious that many of you already know, but if you haven't heard about their clearance sale (currently items are 80% off) why don't you high-tail it on down and check out it out. I bought this little metal pedestal bowl for $3. Unfortunately, I forgot to take the "before" photo, but it was painted black as night with red speckles. Odd. And dark. Gothic-like. Anyway, I wanted to lighten her up and place her on the desk in bedroom redo #3. I grabbed some Rustoleum American Accents Heirloom White spray paint and went to work.

I wasn't going for a pristine look, so I roughed her up a bit with some sandpaper...

and some Ralph Lauren Smoke Glaze...

Ahhhhh. Much better.

In my guest bedrooms a little chocolate treat is standard fair. It's important to have chocolate within reach -- especially when you are in unfamiliar surroundings and you've left your favorite blankie at home. Chocolate has a way of calming the soul of little people and big people. I thought this pedestal bowl would make the perfect container for a few goodies...

I'm feeling a chocolate craving coming on.
We may have to sleep in this bedroom tonight.



Hey All:
I've had a few people ask exactly what "Ralph Lauren Smoke Glaze" is. This is the top of the can which will give you all the information you need. Just make a copy of this photo, enlarge it a bit (so you can read it easily) and take it to Home Depot.

Linked to:
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Anything Related @ All Thingz Related

21 comments:

Laura Lynn said...

Looks great! I love what spray paint can do!

Tina said...

Hi SUzanne. great to hear you had a fabulous weekend. I LOVE your pedestal bowl, you have done such a wonderful job painting it. It is gorgeous!! Hope you have a wonderful week ~ Tina xx

CountryBelle said...

Oh I wish we had Hobby Lobby's up here!!

Julie Harward said...

Such a pretty thing and you have made it even better...very cute! :D

Our really empty nest said...

Love it, so pretty! I think I will take myself to Hob Lob! Thanks for sharing! Sue

Mandy said...

How pretty! I'll have to make a trip to Hobby Lobby to see what I can find!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Suzanne, this pedestal bowl turned out so good. I love it!!! I just bought some of that Ralph Lauren smokey glaze the other day. I have had so many in blogland recommend it. I am using mine on some bedroom furniture. Love & blessings from NC!

Blake and Cherie said...

Oh it's GORGEOUS! Love love LOVE IT!! I keep hearing about this Ralph Lauren Glaze, but can't seem to find it anywhere. Do you mind sharing where I can get it? Is it something I have to get made at Home Depot or something? And if so, could you tell me EXACTLY what I need to ask for so I don't mess it up?? LOL. I know, I need some help. So, um, could you help me out, PLEASE? :)

Green Willow Pond said...

Mmmmmmm! I love me some chocolate...especially in such a pretty bowl. That's a sweet (pun intended) little vignette with the mirror and flowers too!

Decorchick! said...

Looks great! What a nice treat to have for your guests! Love that glaze!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I tell you...that HL store sure does know how to have a SALE...luv that store! Your dish looks great and thanks for coming to my PARTY!

Blessings,
Linda

Cap Creations said...

It looks great! As do those pretty bottles bext to it!

Come say hi when you get a chance!

Sandra said...

Great makeover and I would love to stay in a room with a dish full of chocolate...lucky guests! Come stop by my blog sometime and say hi.

Donna said...

So pretty!! Love the sanding effect!!

Did NOT know about the HL sale - I'm on my way!!

Saw you on All Thingz Related!

Grannys Attic said...

I love the make over and Chocolate looks good in anything! LOL Just made a Chocolate pie tonight from a recipe from my 90 year old friend. So good!
Thanks for sharing, Vicky

Victoria said...

That looks gorgeous! And the chocolate definitely makes it look even better:)

We don't have Hobby Lobby here but I wish we did! I love your blog, going to add myself as a follower:)

Terrell said...

It's simply adorable!! what a great way to revamp and make it oh so charming! I love that it can hold chocolate :D
~Terrell @ FrouFrouDecor~

Blake and Cherie said...

Thank you SO much for letting me in on your Glaze! You're awesome. :) I'm off to Home Depot! ;)

★All Thingz Related★ said...

Oh yeah! That made it perfect! Rebekah just gave me some of that glaze...can't wait to play with it!! Thanks for joining us for another great Anything Related! ~Bridgette

Kim said...

It looks perfect. Anything on a pedestal works for me :).

Diane said...

Lovvve your bowl and yes... I would have painted over that black as well Ü